1963 johnson jw18 3 hp questions

gianttweety

Cadet
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and had a few questions I was hoping to get some help with. I have a 14 ft fiberglass boat and I just bought a 1963 johnson jw18 3 hp made in Belgium. I wanted something I could fix up and learn a bit about outboards. My knowledge is pretty limited now. I paid $150 for it and the guy said it was running last summer, but won't start now. I'm wondering if I should put the money into it, or should I buy a compression tester and test that before I buy new coils, carb kit, impeller and all that stuff? Seems like those parts are around $125 and I would also need to buy some tools. I'm wondering if I should just resell it on craigslist and buy something running. It would be nice to have a bit more hp and to have a clutch and reverse and all. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 98349View attachment 98350

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1963 johnson jw18 3 hp questions

A compression tester should be the first tool you get. A motor (any motor) with low compression is a money pit. If I were you, and the motor has good compression, I'd keep it and learn about carb kits, lower units, and basic stuff like that. Your motor has breaker point igniton and it's easy to work on. It also doesn't take up much space and it's easy to move around. Sweet little troling motor also!

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As you can tell by the orphanage listed below, I love the "J-Dubs" (any JW series 3 horse) These little guys will run forever. I can usually tell if I have a motor work fixing just by covering up the plug hole with a thumb, and pull the rope. If you have compression you will know it, and with these guys, lower compression is usually the case. I have good running j-dubs with 60lbs in each hole, and one 1959 that I just got last week that has 91lbs in each. The key is EVEN comnpression. The greatest thing about this powerhead is the massive number of motors out there that can be had for not much money, and new parts are everywhere too. (even here on this site.) Bottom line, start by purchasing a repair manual, and then dive in. The coils are probably bad, so that will be your first investment.

Any outboard you buy in the 150.00 range is going to need something, so stick with a motor that is easy and cheap to keep running. (and always run 25-1 fuel, they are old motors)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy,

Welcome to iboats. :)

For gosh sakes, tweety, don't start by fixing what ain't broke.

Start in the Top Secret File ^^^.

Compression test: Over about 60psi and both cylinders close (+/- 10%). Use 5 or more pulls to get it to peak.

Replace the impeller.

Do the "Outboard won't start" troubleshooting and only fix what doesn't work or is broke.

I am like meyerboy. I think that the "J" series JohnnyRude outboards are the best ever made and will outlast any user who treats them right.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

yep, 60 psi in each hole is great. If your compression is good, then go from there. I've had a few of those in the past too and they're cool little engines. As of now, I have the predecessor of the JW (the HD) and it's even littler yet. :D
Those darned things were pretty much the same, from '52 on up to '68 and there hasn't been many changes on them, so parts availability should be good.

gianttweety

Cadet

Thanks for your advice. I got to work on the outboard today and cleaned it up a bit. Luckily, the coils look like they were recently replaced and the carb looks updated. It had a new plastic float. Who knows if the work was done correctly though. I did find it was missing the air silencer screen. In fact, the air silencer is not screwed onto the carb at all. I'm not finding the screen for sale anywhere. The part is 203320 as best I can tell. Do I need the screen?
I also noticed it was missing a gasket for a plate on the side of the cylinder so I ordered that(part 203171). I took the plate off and the pistons looked nice and shiny, but there is a lot of carbon inside the cylinder. I guess I need to decarbonize that somehow.
Thanks for all the advice I have gotten so far. I think this old johnson could be a real gem in the rough.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, that is lucky. The new ignition system just saved you about $75 :D

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

G-Tweety,

You can get all the ignition and carb kit here on iboats(good pricing and shipping), but for some of the parts you parts you may have to go to marineengine.com

Here is a link to the site and it will give you an excellent digital parts diagram for your motor.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/379267/37926700001.htm

Here is also a nice read on your motor.

http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.c... Johnson 3 HP 1952-1967 Tune-Up Procedure.htm

The guys are right, these are excellent little motors!!! Extremely dependable when care for properly. ***** Word of advice, your fuel to oil ratio is 24:1 *****

Please don't let someone talk you into 50:1, you will be burying your motor in a couple of years!!! Keep it 24:1 at minimum. Some of Antique Outboard Motor guys swear by 16:1, even for the ones made post 1960, but that will be up to you.