1963 21 ft Starcraft Project my son bought me for $750

My son bought for us a 1963 21 ft Starcraft, I think? Includes 2 motors that do not run. I have not seen the boat myself because I work overseas but next summer I hope to work on it and get it into the water. The plan is to motor down the Missouri river following the Lewis and Clark trail from Montana to St Louis. Probably lots of slow going because of the sandbars and etc, except for the lakes behinh the big damns. From info on this site it was rated for a 75hp to 120hp motor, would a 75hp be adequate for this size boat, I am in no hurry as I will probably retire next year:)Also I would like to coat the wood more for its protection then looks. After seeing the movie "Mud" I like the idea of escaping down the river in an old boat. See attached pics

b3.jpgb5.jpgb6.pngb2.jpgb1.jpg

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1963 21 ft Starcraft Project my son bought me for $750

The lines on those old starchiefs remind me of a beautiful old classic car. I gotta quit looking at these starchief threads. Look forward to seein what you guys do with her!

A 75 would work, but I doubt you'd be pulling any skiers or anything.

I may load the boat with food, fuel and water but I will not be pulling anything. Just cruising down the Missouri, I thought with a smaller motor I would save cost, fuel and weight.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I may load the boat with food, fuel and water but I will not be pulling anything. Just cruising down the Missouri, I thought with a smaller motor I would save cost, fuel and weight.

Get your son to pull some model & serial #'s off the motors that came w/ the boat. W/out that info, it'll be hard to judge if the motor's 'worth' trying to get running. Based on that, you can decide how to proceed.

Don't limit yourself to a 75hp motor. If you are shopping for used OB's, there's no telling what you might find. For the right price, even w/ increased fuel consumption per hour, I doubt you'd ever regret putting a larger displacement motor on.

If you motor DOWN the Missouri, don't you then have to motor back UP the river?

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And im not an engine guru at all but keep in mind that a lower hp motor has to work harder (consume more fuel) than a larger motor would. I'm not sure on the actual math on it, just make sense that if you could run a higher hp motor at fewer rpm then the fuel savings might not be as big as you thought. Food for thought, at least!

airshot

Rear Admiral

Sounds like fuel consumption will be an issue so look for a four stroke engine. While you will pay more for the 4 stroke, the fuel consumption will be half of a 2 stroke motor and no hassle of mixing oil. I am envious of your plans...........

Thanks for the advice. I will need all I can get. Found this old ad on this site, it says the Cheiftain O/B is rated from 40 to 100 hp. When I get home I will work on the motors it came with, a 95 horse Johnson and a kicker Johnson of unkown hp, but will keep an eye out for other motors to use as a spare if necessary.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, see if your son can pull some #'s off it. I'm not a 100%, but I think the remote shift control visible in this pix:
attachment.php

And the cowl on it your OB:
attachment.php

Mean that it has some sort of electric shift lower unit. <<<---Link

Several types, none that have 'good' parts support for the electric components that shift the lower unit between F-N-R.

When they work, they certainly work well. When water or age gets to 1 of the solenoids (or both) it doesn't work.....

Those shift solenoids can be difficult to source.

Ask him if the remote shift or cowl has:

Hydro-electric
Selectric
Electro-matic
Electric shift

written on it.....

If it works, it's up to you, but I'd consider sourcing a newer motor that doesn't use an electric shifting lower unit, and sell yours to someone who NEEDS/wants an electric shift motor for a period correct resto, wants a spare parts motor or to replace their failing electric shift OB.

The parts are only going to become more difficult to source.

But since you plan to tear into it, and it isn't billed as a water ready boat, no hurry either way. And you can dig into the motor once you lay your hands on it & go from there.............

Ok thanks, I am not sure what electric shift is and neither will my son but replacing the motor is fine with me. I want something simple and easy to work on anyway. I will have to do some research on that. Is there any way to mount something like this on the boat?

cann.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bow cannon? USCG might frown on live munitions use, but, sure I guess so.... On the bow............ Fore of the hatch that's probably already there.

It's probably heavy, and would require a substantial mount, so that might impinge on the head room in the cuddy.

Is there still much threat of pirates on the Missouri? Scurvy dogs, yeah maybe......

Read that link I posted @electric shift. It may work great, then it'd be 1 less thing to do NOW. But yep, a re-power is in your future if you use this boat much or plan to keep it for a while..........

If it works, while it still works, will net you the most $ to fund a replacement motor.

While you read thru the SC threads, you'll notice a theme: Donor boats. Bought for their parts & pieces, stripped & then the fiberglass hull is sold/crushed. Trailer parts & pieces, windshield part&pcs, motor p&p, seating, etc etc etc. Anything you salvage & don't need goes on CL or evil-bay to fund tin boat building.....

You'd be the 1st Starmadian 'armed' w/ a cannon aboard*

*excluding large caliber hand munitions :rolleyes:

Thanks, I read the article on electric shift, good information for me, I know little about these motors, I can work on motorcycle engines but have no experience with O/B. I told my son I wanted an outboard for the very reason it would be easier to replace, so it does sound like a donor boat or motor is in order for me when I get home. Thanks for the advice, it gives me something to think about before I get back. Maybe the swivel cannon would be a bit overboard but Lewis and Clark carried one up the river, so I thought it would be appropiate. It looked kind of like this,
wea_swivel-cannon.jpg

barato2

Commander

it's not USCG i'd be worried about on the bow cannon as much as ATF.

if you've worked on bike engines, old outboards are not hard. low tech, constant rpm two strokes. and modern 4 stroke OBs basically ARE bike engines.....my 2hp Honda is basically a CT engine.

and welcome to the mob!

Thanks, I can find a lot of used boats on Craigslist with 65 or 75 hp motors for less then $1000, so that may be the way I go, unless I happen to find something bigger after I get home. I will keep checking the ads after I get home and maybe find something that will work for me. I want something easy to work on or replace which is why I wanted an outboard in the first place. Easier to winterize and store also, I can take the outboard off and work on it in my garage. The boat came with 2 old Johnsons, a 9hp and a 90hp, the old ads I found on this site say the boat is rated for 40 to 100hp outboad. So I think anything over 70hp should work, I am not looking for fast but for dependeabilty and ease of repair. Thanks again for the info.
Happy Trails
Buck

jbcurt00

Staff member

I figure you're familiar w/ this Lewis & Clark center but saw it posted elsewhere & thought it might need to be a port of call on your journey:
Discovery Expedition of St. Charles

barato2

Commander

Buck--one more thought on your motor situ, and this is coming from a slow trollin angler who fails to understand the logic of water skiing etc: this is light but a BIG hull. you'll be on water that has at least a few "interesting" spots, i'm sure, and you'll be needing to dodge lots of other boat traffic. speed may not be an issue but adequate acceleration is a big safety feature. you want a motor big enough that when you need to nail the throttle to get the heck out of a bad spot, NOW, you can, and i don't think 65hp would do that. look for an 85-90hp motor, minimum.

Thanks, acceleration would be good, below Sioux City there is still barge traffic. They can not stop for anything for any reason, so they always have the right of way. There are a couple of Lewis and Clark centers along the way, I have seen the one in North Dakota and I know about the one in St Charles. I have a few books on touring along the Lewis and Clark trail, so I will have plenty to read and see.