1963 10hp Johnson QD-24 Flywheel rotating the mag plate

callious

Seaman
I also placed the old coils back on and it's doing the same thing. Is there something that has to be adjusted? So strange to me.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Old screws may have been too long. Back them out a turn or two. Rotate the flywheel by hand (clockwise) and feel for friction. Flywheel doesn't need to be torqued down for this -- just carefully drop in over the key, and maybe tap it a time or two with a rubber mallet. The new wires under the plate may be a problem -- have to be tucked in and held by clips safely out of the way.

callious

Seaman
So I found the issue but I do not know how to fix it? The cam that controls the timing with the spring under it goes too far down the shaft causing the flywheel to sit too low and making the flywheel drag on the mag plate which turns it. Do I need to replace the cam?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope.-----I do not believe the cam is the issue.----Position of the flywheel is determined by the TAPERS on flywheel and crankshaft.-----Check assembly / position of magplate and retainer plate !

callious

Seaman
Nope.-----I do not believe the cam is the issue.----Position of the flywheel is determined by the TAPERS on flywheel and crankshaft.-----Check assembly / position of magplate and retainer plate !
Well I checked and triple checked everything. This time I took the spark plugs out and put the flywheel back on and rotated it by hand and it is still pulling the mag plate. I then looked carefully at the flywheel as it was spinning and there is a noticeable wobble to the flywheel. As if something is bent? Hopefully it's not the crankshaft but hard to tell.

callious

Seaman
Well I checked and triple checked everything. This time I took the spark plugs out and put the flywheel back on and rotated it by hand and it is still pulling the mag plate. I then looked carefully at the flywheel as it was spinning and there is a noticeable wobble to the flywheel. As if something is bent? Hopefully it's not the crankshaft but hard to tell.

callious

Seaman
There is a noticeable Crack in the flywheel also.

Attachments

• 16235094970157217870683357936503.jpg
    16235094970157217870683357936503.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I refurbished a 63 model 10 HP a few years ago for the 8 year old grandson.-----A wonderful smooth running motor.-----He could start it by himself when motor was warmed up.---Time to look for a used flywheel.-----your location ?

callious

Seaman
I refurbished a 63 model 10 HP a few years ago for the 8 year old grandson.-----A wonderful smooth running motor.-----He could start it by himself when motor was warmed up.---Time to look for a used flywheel.-----your location ?
I'm in Tennessee close to Chattanooga.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^agree. That cracked flywheel is dangerous. What's the story with that hole? Looks like a homemade observation hole -- if so, could likely have unbalanced the wheel imo. Also had a sister motor ('62, I think), and ran real well -- smooth and quiet. Your '63 is worth fixing.

callious

Seaman
^^agree. That cracked flywheel is dangerous. What's the story with that hole? Looks like a homemade observation hole -- if so, could likely have unbalanced the wheel imo. Also had a sister motor ('62, I think), and ran real well -- smooth and quiet. Your '63 is worth fixing.
That's the inspection port, I took off the plate covering it. I got this motor from a guy recently and it ran but had issues with misfiring so I went and bought all new coils, condensers, points, and spark cables. After replacing all those items and trying to put the flywheel back on I started noticing the sticking. I bought a new flywheel for it which will come in on Tues. I hope this fixes the issue.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
(does not look like a factory drilled inspection port.) Hope the new flywheel is the solution.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well-----Those motors did come with an inspection port right of the showroom floor !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The inspection port that came in these from the factory is clearly shown in the parts book !!!

callious

Seaman
Ok so the new Flywheel came in early! Put it on and viola no more rubbing the mag plate. I went to start it and the pull rope came off in my hands. Does anyone know of a rope I can just go get from Lowes / Home Depot or auto parts store?