1962 Evinrude 5.5hp outboard

Old56

Seaman
Hello I'm new to forum and computers so hope this makes sense.i have a cylinder that was stripped and someone used a heli coil problem is the sparkplug is no good and I can't fit another one in there any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

Johnny hockey

Recruit
1. Did the helicoil come out with the with/attached to the plug? If so, seprate the two and reuse it. Usually when one installs a helicoil the hole is drilled oversize then the helicoil is installed, retaining the original plug size.
2. If you have not removed the plug yet, and the plug was correct/worked well, write down the plug brand and number any auto or part store should be able to give you a replacement or cross ref. To another brand then just remove and replace the plug (the Helicoil may stay in the cylinder head)
3. If for some reason you can't reuse the helicoil and you have it and the plug out, just take both to the nearest auto parts store they should be able to match a new one for you.
In any case start the install by hand, making sure not to not to cross thread, the spark plug will tighten both, take care not to over tighten.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Look for a head from a donor motor. Should pull off the head anyway, if doing any work on it. OEM plugs are Champion J4C.

Old56

Seaman
Thanks for the quick response I already pulled head to drop lower unit this is my first attempt at repairing outboard motors I usually repair chainsaws and outdoor power equipment I purchased this motor at flea market for 15 bucks you get what u pay for I think I'll probably use it for parts thanks for all your help

Old56

Seaman
Thanks for all your help I was able to find a used head problem solved now onto other problems.

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Those little motors are fun to work on, and easy to get going. I was scared to half to death when I pulled apart my CD 12 5.5 hp. But the guys here got me through it..and now I wish I had more to work on.

Old56

Seaman
They sure are I got her running but was concerned about the water pump it's now running great just started on a 1946 johnsoson hd25 she runs great at high speed but getting her to idle is animated I looked at low speed needle and the tip is bent I think that might be the issue any help would be appreciated tx in advance

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Two comments:

1) Johnson didn't recommend helicoil to repair stripped spark plug holes in the head. Why? It effectively changes the heat range of the spark plug due to insulation in the head. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it since you can't exactly run out and buy a new head for your old motor. Used, o.k.

The 2nd ( & 3rd) comment applies to member Old56 & their 1946 Johnson hd25

2) Trouble idling down on those old bronze-bushed rotary valve motors often is a sign of exceeding the wear limits of the bushings. Why? Because on a rotary valve 2-stroke the intake mixture is first pressurized in the crankcase before entering the cylinder via a port. One cylinder is pressurized while the opposite one is in vacuum. A leak in crankcase via the bushings (bearings) will throw intake charge pressures out of whack and cause a motor to not idle down properly. At that point Johnson says to replace the block (again you can't run out and buy a new 71 year old block). That is why checking cylinder compression on those motors only tells half the story, since crankcase compression is just as important to proper running on a rotary valve motor. Just a heads-up. I had to replace my worn out TN-26 block (the bigger brother to your motor) for that very reason. We found a 1953 TN-28 block within service limits and went with that.

O.K., third comment: Make sure you run LOTS of oil in the fuel on that motor. They were designed for 16:1 gas / oil mix to give film thickness on the bushings. That was with straight 30-weight automotive non-detergent oil from 70+ years ago. You can run as lean as 24:1 on modern TCW-3 2-stroke oil, but on a worn motor you should consider running the mixture as original spec'd. Smoky, yes. Try synthetic oil to reduce the smoke.

Last edited:

Old56

Seaman
Thanks fo all the info it will sure help. Can't believe the old motor started to begin with,it's 70 years old I don't think a motor made today would last that long thanks again

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
No Title

well my 51 year old 9.5 runs great with some TLC it should last.... 19 more years to 70....

me I'll be 86 and won't need it anymore:crutch:

​I'll be accepting offers for it in another 14 years ....if anybody want's it :laugh:

the 75 ETEC will probably be trash in 19 years at age 31:Cry:

Attachments

• photo247758.jpg
    photo247758.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: