1961 merc500

coolguy147

Commander
heres an update of the motor ive been preparing for and reaseraching and checking over.

so far i know it was last run in about 1990's.

check compression all cylinders between 128-135. top piston highest 135 and bottom piston was about 127-128. so good:D heres its like 140 new:eek: and again hasnt ran so rings probably stuck a bit

check spark today got no spark i made sure i turned the key had spark plugs all plugged in once then made sure they tocuhed the block no spark on any cylinder.

checked prop today looked good really heavy bronze:confused: no fishing line. then i greased it up nice and good. installed prop then put nut back on then pulled out two of the tabs on the washer:cool:

then i wd-40ed every nut and bolt on the outside of the motor. exhuast housing lower unit screws and bolts holding it on and such since they were rusted im most likely going to replace them.

next step is change gear oil inspect it etc. take lower unit off and replace impeller. i hear u need a special tool to take the water pump housing off where can i get this tool?

after is ignition. did some looking around ( first time working on a distributor) so i know one coil one cond. and one point. in there. im getting the instructions to disassble the cap from a friend. i have a red cap by the way. and the model number is like ad-3 or something like that cant remember

any thoughts advice bad things.

i know the cap and rotor can be really expensive but i might take the chance. so far i spent nothing on the motor so far

ryland43

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1961 merc500

i have a 1964 merc 500 which i brought to life after it had sat for 17 years. i didnt have spark on any of the cylinders either, the points just needed a good cleans cause they get grud build up on them, i hear its comon. and i didnt need a special tool for the water pump housing i slowly and evenly pryed it off with two slot screw drivers. good luck there great engines

coolguy147

Commander

did u break anything in the proccess to taking off the water pump

ya thats what ive been hearing about just clean the points up nice and good. hopely thats my case.

coolguy147

Commander

tried to change the gear oil today but i couldnt. the bottom drain screw was really stuck in there. put some wd-40 on there hopely it will loosen up by 2moro

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would try PB blaster, not dubD.It works much more betterer. Good luck. My 74 1500 water pump came off without a hitch, just used 2 LARGE flat blade screw drivers.

coolguy147

Commander

yup gonna give it another shot 2day and hopely it will come off. this time im bringing in the vice grip:p dont got any pb blaster at the moment but wd-40 will just have to do

coolguy147

Commander

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:eek: this is what i feared about merc.

i need to get a spanner wrench i hear its called. looks like the plate is a bit boogered up from trying to get it out. the lower unit was a bit easier to get out then a old evinrude but man that water pump is just killing me

where can i get a merc spanner wrench

coolguy147

Commander

ok heres an update.
water pump: got the cover out. didnt totally destroy the cover. i think ill be able to reuse it. my problem now is that i cant exactly get the impeller out. its pretty stuck in there. put some wd-40 for a day or 2 didnt exactly work. then someone suggested to pour some coke in there to eat away at the rust. it ate away but i still cant get it off yet. just gonna let it sit for a little

magneto: ok i took it apart. the magneto looked excellent. the rotor was flawless. its yellow by the way. the cap had no cracks it looked great. only thing that made me mad was the coil. it made a big brown mess all over the cap so im working on cleaning that up. some corrosion on the nuts and wires. the points look great have good tension probably reuse and clean. coil will replace. condensor ill think about it see how it looks. the spark plug wires look great r flexible no cracks. only problem i really have is the coil.

coolguy147

Commander

ok cleaned out most of the junk today took the nasty coil out. then tested make sure the distributor turned over easily it was good. got a coil condosor and carb stuff etc parts coming up for order from my parts guy

I have a 1960 merc300. It also sat as a wall hanger for many years before I decided to put it back into action. If the fuel lines are original you best redo them to be on the safe side. Also I had to install carb kits and the seal where the shifter goes into the foot. Milky looking oil when you drain the lower gear housing indicates leaking or dried up seals. The magneto is simple to take apart BUT parts for it are VERY costly. Just the little ceramic rotor can cost over 400 bucks if you can find one. The timming belt should also be replaced if it is original..cost aprox 30 bucks. I love these engines . They are true mercury classics. Check out "oldmercs" website linked from Iboats and see what can be bought new for your engine....Grab your wallet if you need ANY MAGNETO PARTS. Im sure we all would like to see some pictures.

coolguy147

Commander

ya im ok on the magento. i checked everything out looks great. again like i said rotor is great cap has minor damage. only thing i need is a new coil maybe a condensor if there cheap. my points have great tension and look fine. the connections need some cleaning. but thats it. my magnet is good since it was a bit hard to take the coil out.

ya im just working on magento at the moment and water pump. still cant seem to get the water pump impeller off yet. and i think i got a problem with my electric start. it wont turn over good with power so either i got bad connections or bad starter. so sometime soon before i disconnect everything i will use jumper to by pass everything.

then after ill work on the carbs and fuel pump and i was going to replace the fuel lines before but they look a bit new but there not flexible so they go bye bye.

coolguy147

Commander

my timing bely ill check it over again but i thought i would leave it mainly cause its hard to take on and off and little bit tedious to adjust and set properly

coolguy147

Commander

ok today i finally got the impeller off. well i had to take all the rubber away. and drill the brass out. cleaned it up and i manages not to damage the water pump bowl.

took the electric start out of the motor and working 2moro or sometime to get the rectifier out and the starter salanoid out.

tested out electric start reason y it turned over slowly cause of a bad salanoid. replacing that. magento belt looks good.

working on getting fuel system done.

coolguy147

Commander

ok heres a list of items i will be replacing. anything else that u think needs to be speak up

2 carb rebuild kit with needle and seat
fuel pump diafram
coil
condensor if cheap
water impeller
starter solanoid
fuel hose and oil line
some assorments of nuts and bolts

skydailey

Cadet

Great post! I have a 72 Merc.500 in the works myself. I am glad to see the response to your post! Do you have in idea of the quality/reliability of these old motors? Would really like to know! Also, will you post a pic of your motor?? Thanks again!!