1961 Marlin 17 Phaeton Help

sdboltz_guy

Recruit
I need help finding wiring diagrams, cable routes, or something that will help me route the steering cables and electrical system from the stearing wheel to the Johnson outboard motor. I have been searching all over the Internet for hits on this boat but not much is being returned. I would like to restore this boat as close to its orginal condition as possible. Please help! <br />Thanks, <br />Michael<br /> :confused:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: 1961 Marlin 17 Phaeton Help

Go to "fiberglassics.com", you might find someone familiar with that boat. Also, there was not a lot of different ways a boat was rigged back then. Wiring usually was up under the gunnel closest to the steering wheel, as was the control linkage. Being a 61, it is not a big stretch to imagine you have the cable steering that wound on a drum behing the dash, connected to the wheel via the shaft. The cables ran to each side of the boat, through pulleys, under the gunnels to the rear, through more pulleys, and to the motor. Steering was a pull-pull setup. Good luck...

sdboltz_guy

Recruit

Sergeant,<br />I am very new to boating, so please excuse my ignorance but could you tell me what the "gunnel" is? I am assuming that it's the "dashboard" behind the steering wheel. I will check out the link you provided. You are correct about the cable system on a reel. I was talking with the guy I got it from and he said that there are "guides" that mount under the sides of the boat, where the cable runs. Thanks again for your help!

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

The cables and wires are usually routed under the top of the sides of the boat(gunnels). Do yourself a favor and put in teleflex steering and junk the old cable and pulley set up. C&P steering in my opinion sucks and is only a problem/accident waiting to happen.

CATransplant

Admiral

Nothing wrong with cable & pulley steering, as long as it's installed properly and maintained a little.<br /><br />Mine was installed in 1967 when the boat was new. It's still there and still working just fine. I wonder how many teleflex systems installed today will still be working with all the original parts in 38 years.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Yeah, C&P steering is fine as long as the cable is in good condition and tensioned properly, the pulleys turn freely, and you aren't trying to steer too large of an outboard. I ran a 63 with C&P steering turing an 85 horse motor with no problems, I just kept an eye on the system (new cable, pulleys, and tension springs).