1961 Evinrude Lightwin 3HP questions

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased this motor so I can replace my 25Hp Sportster on no wake lakes and I have a couple questions. Bought the motor from a boat motor collector so it runs great and pumps water.
This is my first 16:1 motor. Been running XD100 oil in my 18 Fastwin and 25 Sportster for years with no issues, yes I know it was designed for the injected motors. My question is what can I use in place of the XD100 while mixing 16:1 for the Lightwin as XD100 is expensive to mix that rich. Or am I better off to just keep one oil around and use it for all.

Second question is this motor originally calls for J4J plugs. Thats what is in it now. Id like to get a spare set to keep in the boat. If im correct the J4J was replaced with the J4C. On my 18 and 25 I use J6C as I idle and troll a fair amount. Is it ok to use the J6C in this lightwin as well? If thats the case I already have a set of plugs in the boat.
Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

lindy46

Captain
Use TCW3 oil at 16:1. I use the Walmart brand and it's fine. I normally use J6C's in the 3hp motors as most are used for trolling.