1960's Super Skeeter

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice
I was given the above boat by a friend who was just wanting to get rid of it and the trailer. It has sat outside uncovered since 1995. The boat is 15 ft. long and maybe 5 ft. wide and looks like a hollowed out log. The Skeeter website has a picture and a little blurb about it being the original bass boat. The site also shows two men standing on one side of the hull and the boat is barely listing to the side. The floor was soft of course, so I have begun to remove the thin layer of fiberglass and the wet wood underneath it. The wood is 1/2 in. thick X 3 in. wide X 6-8 in. long, laid fore to aft the entire bottom of the boat. The wood looks like it was placed in a thin layer of resin, then the maybe three plies of glass over the top of it. I am thinking of putting 1/2 in. plywood (primed and painted with oil base paint) back in with a layer of resin on the hull underneath it. Then putting three to four plies of glass and resin over that. Would this be as good as the wood pieces that were original? The transom is also rotten and I will repair that as well and glass it in also. <br />When I brought the boat home, all my friends said to trash the boat and sell the trailer. The trailer is in good shape, needs paint, lights and some minor work. The tires are new and has new front bearings. The price was right, so I think I will try to fix it. What do you guys think?

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1960's Super Skeeter

man id like to see some pics of that boat. Im a big fan of old school skeeters and would be curious to see it. Good luck with the boat!

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1960's Super Skeeter

Have removed most of the wood and glass. There were many voids under the wood to hull. Where the wood did bond it is stuck pretty good. Where it was the wettest, it came up pretty easy. Does anyone have pictures of how the interior was laid out? In the middle looks like there may have been a bench seat. There is two side brackets, some foam and an outline in the floor that indicated something was there. I cut the two glassed in boxes in the front and back out. I am going to take a sander to the hull, fill the low spots with resin, let it cure, sand it, put resin down, sealed plywood, let it cure, then put glass on top of the ply. Then fix the transom and glass it all in. Anything I am missing?