1960's Rinker for free. Worth my time?

ryan71383

Cadet
I am a complete newbie to boats and figured the best way to learn about them would be to get an older boat and fix her up and learn as I go. I have a chance to get a 1960's Rinker fiberglass with a 100 hp outboard on a trailer for free, I know the floor is rotten and the seats will have to be replaced. I was just looking for opinions and any advice on whether to try and tackle this as my first boat. As far as I know the hull is sound and the motor is complete. It's been out in the elements uncovered almost ten years. Thanks for any info.

Ryan

ryan71383

Cadet
Re: 1960's Rinker for free. Worth my time?

Sorry guys, no pics yet camera batteries were dead when I pulled it outta the woods. The motor is a Mercury. My buddy looked at the motor and doesn't think we'll have any problems firing it up once we clean it. Pics coming hopefully tomorrow.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

If it were me and the whole package was free, why not go for it?

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I would take it in a heartbeat. If the motor is junk you could maybe part some of it out, make a few bucks and invest in a diff. motor.....the trailer is definitely worth the gas to bring it home if it rolls, so sounds like you got yourself a project! Good Luck and post some pics ASAP:D I wanna see this thing!

redfury

Commander

Sitting outside uncovered for 10 years is never a good sign to find a solid boat, but for free and if you are looking for a project....I've said it in many other posts...my boat came to me out of a ditch where it was sitting nose down, rotted with gel coat blisters, no motor or trailer, and I paid $300 for it! :D

Rickairmedic

Commander

Red are ya ready for a new project :D have I got a deal for you and this one has a trailer LOL.

Rick

redfury

Commander

Red are ya ready for a new project :D have I got a deal for you and this one has a trailer LOL.

Rick

Now see, MBS is supposed to be something you afflict yourself with Rick. Are you trying to make it a communicable disease? :p

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I would scoop that up in a minute. Oh yeah, theres no such thing as a free boat.

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take it home and take it apart. Very worst that could happen is you could part it out for a few bucks and learn about boats in the process. Make you more prepared for the next project.

ryan71383

Cadet

Thanks guys for all the great comments and info. My plan is to try and get it home Sat morning and tear apart the inside to see how bad it really is. I'll post pics as soon as I find the damn charger.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys for all the great comments and info. My plan is to try and get it home Sat morning and tear apart the inside to see how bad it really is. I'll post pics as soon as I find the damn charger.

Looking forward to seeing what the boat looks like

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I didn't know Rinker made boats back in the 60's. Definitely post some pics when you came.