1960 Evinrude 10 hp Shift Issue

Bellasdad

Cadet
Hi I got my 1960 10hp started today runs great but when you put it in forward it jumps out of gear. I think the clutch dogs are bad. Had that happen on 7.5 . I am going to try and take it apart in the next couple days. Anything I should check before I take it apart ?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yes. Check the brass link joining the upper and lower shift rods. One or both has not been fully inserted in the link. Access would be under the port on the side of the leg.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If adjustment at shift lever is correct , take lower unit apart.----Inspect bronze bushing above pinion.---Inspect bottom bearing surface on driveshaft.---Insoect forward gear and clutch dog.

Bellasdad

Cadet
Just check the shift linkage , everything was good . Dropped lower unit and found the shifter dog and forward gear edges rounded off. The oil was a milkshake. I am going to replace the waterpump and gaskets and hope that seals it up. I found a new forward gear but I am having a problem finding the shifter clutch dog.Marine Motor listed as part number 0377458 ,0393879 and 0329795 . I found one one ebay and contacted the vendor to verify the fit and they told me that 0377458 is for a later motor and won't fit mine. Does anybody have the correct part number. I also need the part number for a water pump rebuild kit . Marine motor listed 382797 as the rebuild kit < but when I look it up it's for a 5.5 to 7.5 . My model number is10020-10906. Thank You Joe

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if you are going to be working the GC may as well do ALL seals drive shift and prop seals ...

water on oil is frequently a chewed up prop seal due to mono line intake

Bellasdad

Cadet
if you are going to be working the GC may as well do ALL seals drive shift and prop seals ...

water on oil is frequently a chewed up prop seal due to mono line intake
I ordered the gasket , O ring for the front gear case seal and shifter rod o ring. can't find the shifter rod screw washer. I would like to replace the water pump but can't find a good part number. Where does the shifter rod o ring go, it looks like just a brass bushing ?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
utube is your friend... for parts try IBOATS HERE !!! on call up vintage outboard.com try your local dealer

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
unless you buy the tool to extract the brass bushig.... threading from the top is theeasiest ... done it several limes.

replace the oring and insert the brast bushing with the taper facing down.
tap gently to seat the oring..

if need be polish the shift rod to remove burrs or rust grease and slide it down in the new o-ring gently

when all done do pressure test on the GC to confirm a good job !!

Bellasdad

Cadet
unless you buy the tool to extract the brass bushig.... threading from the top is theeasiest ... done it several limes.

replace the oring and insert the brast bushing with the taper facing down.
tap gently to seat the oring..

if need be polish the shift rod to remove burrs or rust grease and slide it down in the new o-ring gently

when all done do pressure test on the GC to confirm a good job !!
I tapped the bushing and replaced the o ring. I also replaced the prop shaft seal and of coarse the gear case cover gasket. I don't have a way to test under pressure , but used my vacume tool and it held 20hg for at least 5 minutes so I think that's a well sealed unit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have the factory tool ( X3 ) to remove the bushing,.----That big shift rod o-ring can be replaced without removing the bushing.----Yes , I Have done that just to see if it can be done.