1960 Evenrude Lark II 40 hp NO SPARK!

This engine was fully tuned at a marina 2 years ago and has not been run since. I cannot seem to get spark. NEW:Coils, Points, Condensers, Wires, Plugs. I have detached the wiring harnes and cranked it by hand and I have also tried detaching the wires from the cut out switch. Still nothing. :confused:

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1960 Evenrude Lark II 40 hp NO SPARK!

Did you use an OMC locator ring to align the coils? If they are too close or too far from the flywheel magnet, that can be the problem.<br /><br />Also, does the flywheel magnet have enough strength to hold a large screwdriver in place? Loss of magnetism can be factor.

No I didn't install the coils a marine mechanic did. I assume he did it correctly when he tuned the whole thing up. <br />I will check for magnetism but I must first locate and purchas a flywheel puller.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Personally, I use a "harmonic balancer puller" for a flywheel puller. They're pretty cheap and available at any place that sells automotive tools. Probably you'll need to buy bolts for the flywheel though. You'll need three 1/4"-20TPI bolts, about 3 inches long. (look at the ones that came with the puller first)<br />Until you see for yourself what's under the flywheel, you'll never be sure why your loosing spark.<br />The flywheel nut was put on with 110 ft/lbs of torque, so you might need special gear to get it off. Like a strap wrench and a long breaker bar.

My harmonic balance puller worked great! I discovered the problem to be a scuffed coil wire. Despite them being band new and instulled by a professional one wire still got damaged during the test run. Good news is the engine runs great. The bad news is I need a water pump. NO water came out so I shut it down immediatly. Thank you all for the help.