1960 40hp Evenrude Lark II Lower Unit

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1960 40hp Evenrude Lark II Lower Unit

If it's electromatic, then only OMC type C, or Premium Blend Gear Case Lube will work.<br />If it's not, which is to say you have a shift handle on the side of the engine, then any 90W oil specified for outboard L/U's will work fine, like the stuff you find in Walmart.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Original spec was Hypoid 90, the same as most old cars.<br /><br />Any modern manual shift lower unit oil is fine.

I drained my lower unit oil but I am not sure where to fill it at. My drain is on the very underside of the gear box. The plug on the side says OIL Level. This completly different than what my Seloc Manual says. Should I fill through the Oil Level hole?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Belive it or not, you fill from the drain until it overflows through the vent hole, just as indicated by the manual (Section 10-8, pages 10-11 and 12). This should be done with the engine vertical. The LU oil bottle fits & seals into drain/fill hole, and you squeeze. Once the oil overflows through the vent hole, you insert the vent plug screw and then remove the oil bottle. Then you insert the fill/drain plug screw. Putting the vent plug in before removing the bottle prevents the oil from pouring out the drain/fill hole.<br /><br />Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip. I was a bit confuesed because the illustration in the book shows the drain hole on the side of the rudder fin. My drain hole is underneath the gear housing just foward of the rudder fin. So I will be filling with the oil bottle in a completly vertical position. I'll give it a try tomorrow.<br />I'm used to more modern engines these older ones are a whole new bag of tricks but a lot of fun.