1960 35HP Sea King..sluggish..jerkey..dead

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice
I finally got the old boat out on a lake yesterday, and it ran well while I was backing away from the launch. I put it in gear and gradually increased the speed. It seemed to slip in and out of gear. Felt like it would grab and then rev up a bit, grab and rev up a bit... I had my 11 year old take the wheel so I could get to the back of the boat. My son gave it some gas (even though I said not to) and the boat started to take off..then got sluggish..and died. I could get it to fire-up a little after that, but it didn't stay running more than 3-4 seconds. Any ideas?? Gas mix was good.

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1960 35HP Sea King..sluggish..jerkey..dead

Just to add a little more info. The Sea King is an outboard on a 1963-4 15ft fiberglass run-a-bout. I am not sure how long it has been since the motor was run before I got it a couple weeks ago. It seemed to run alright when I was first getting it started last week, although I did not run it wide open in my barrel of water. After it konked out on me at the lake, it did not seem to be excessivley hot. Not hot at all, really. The total amount of time that it ran on the lake was maybe 1 minute....Thanks in Advance!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Lucky.<br /><br />You might have a gummed up carb or water in the fuel tank. <br /><br />The first thing I would do is get it to misbehave again and squirt some fuel mix into the carb. If that gets it to run for a few seconds I would dismantle and clean the carb as well as check out the whole fuel supply system.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks JB, I'll take a look at the carb. Before I put it on the lake, I changed both fuel lines bought a new fuel line that goes from the tank to the outboard. The gas was fresh, as I just bought and mixed it before I left for the lake. The float chamber is full, however, it could be sticky. I'll try to head out today and start cleaning that out. thanks for the help!!

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I checked out the entire fuel line and looked at the carb. All seems good. I can get it to fire when I spray some gas directly into the carb, but it only burns that up then dies. Does this thing have a fuel pump? If so, could it be bad and how could I check? Thanks!!! Here are the vitals Model# GG8837A, serial# 06X794934

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Lucky.<br /><br />What does "looked at the carb" mean? <br /><br />Disconnect the fuel line input to the carb. Turn the engine over and see if the fuel pump squirts fuel into a bottle. If not, take it apart and overhaul it.<br /><br />If the fuel pump pumps fuel, take your carb apart, clean all tiny passages and reassemble it with new gaskets and needles. Be sure to blow air through all passages.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like your float may be stuck and not letting fuel in the carb bowl. Buy a rebuild kit (around 15 bucks) change the needle and seat. Make sure ALL passageways are clear. Set your float to where it is level when you turn it upside down.<br /><br />Hope this cures you. Sounds like it might.<br />Don't forget to put the plug in.

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I did check to see if the fuel pump was working, and it is. I went and bought the rebuild kit for the carb and it came with many more pieces than I thought. I am going to check the library for a service manual, but I would like to have one of my own. Any idea where I could buy one for this old of an outboard. (1960 Sea King)?<br />Thanks

alcan

Commander

Hi Lucky<br /> There are several manuals on the market. As far as I am concerned they are all good. The Clymer #b734 will work for your motor. You can order one from Iboats,a dealer, marine store and book stores.

nnosker

Cadet

Once you do get the carb cleaned out well, I cant mention enough on Sea Foam. Dont know what others think about it, but I know it does wonders on mine. Wont run a year without it.

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to say Thanks again!! I rebuilt that carb and just had it out on the lake. Outboard runs smooth. Sounds Great! :) but...When I try to give her some gas (3/4 to full throttle) it slips in and out of gear. It doesn't actually move the shifter, (at least that I could see) but it most certainly is slipping out of gear. When I am moving slowly, everything is good. Any help would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!

alcan

Commander

Hi Lucky<br />Darn, If your running remote controls make sure they are adjusted properly. Also check the shift linkage on the motor for worn or tight spots. Open the little oval cover on the exhaust leg, make sure the screws holding the shift shaft together are correct. Now here is the bad news, you might need a new shift dog. For your unit, they arn't too expencive as I recall. And for a first timer with a good manual and a six-pac of O douls (fake beer) it will take an evening.

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Alcan,<br /> I took the boat out again and it did the same thing. What is a shift dog?...

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class

a shift dog is a gear in your lower unit that keeps it in the gear that it is supposed to be in.