1959 Glasspar Trident

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice
I'll looking at a 1959 Glasspar Trident. Can anyone give me some advise about this make and model. I like the way it looks, but I don't want to buy into a headache.

ALex

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1959 Glasspar Trident

it's an old boat, they are cool. check for rotted wood, soft floors, transom. cosmetics can come in time. if it's a solid hull, it's a beginning.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

I think that the boat looks cool too, that's why I'm interested in it. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told that it's in good shape. However, I new to old boats and don't really know what to look for or how to do it. Checking the floor is good advice and I guess that can be done by climbing in and see how it flexes to my weight. How about the transom? Also, any idea of fair price if its in good shape?

ziggy

Admiral

they got a oem flyer type pic of that boat over on fiberglassics.com. follow boat info, boat lituature, then glasspar, then bochures......

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advise. Anything else that I should look for? How about on the motor? Its a '73 Evinrude 65hp.

CATransplant

Admiral

That Trident would have been designed for the OMC Fat Fifty engines. Your 65 hp should be OK on it, though, as long as it's sound. The Glasspars were good boats and well-built. Your 65 hp is essentially the same engine, as far as weight goes, anyhow.

tashasdaddy

check compression, over 100 and within 10% of each other. check for spark, lower unit oil for water. 73 is mechanical shift that is good. try to take it for a test run. it's a super cool boat, very versatile. it's similar to our 1st family boat when i was a kid.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

Do you think that it's a good boat to run around with the family in (wife and two young ones)? I really like the styling and the size, but I don't want something that's going to require a lot of TLC. Do older boats that are in good condition still require a lot more maintenance than newer ones?

CATransplant

Admiral

It ought to be great as a family boat. I grew up with a Glasspar Avalon of the same vintage, and it did everything a family of five could want, from fishing to skiing. My dad, who is now 82, still has the boat, with the same 1959 Fat Fifty on it. He just took it up to a lake in the High Sierras and he and my mom fished from it for a week.

The Glasspars are sturdy, deep, and handle very well.

As for condition and maintenance, check that before buying. As I said, my dad's still using his 1959 Avalon, and he hasn't had to do much to either it or the outboard since it was new, other than routine maintenance.

If it's sound when you buy it, it'll be sound as long as you have it. Check the transom carefully before investing, though.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

Tashasdaddy also suggested I check the transom by titling and locking the motor and checking for play. Is there anything else to it? Should the transom be rock solid or will there be a little give? What does too much flex indicate?

CATransplant

Admiral

That's a good test for transom flex. Essentially, it shouldn't move at all when you try it. Also, take a rubber mallet and whack the transom, especially around the sides and near the bottom. It should make a nice solid sound. A dull hollow thud is a bad sign. You'll hear the difference in different areas, if there is any.

Take a close look at the transom eyes or handles on the rear of the boat, inside and out. They shouldn't move at all, and the nuts on the inside should not be pulled in, bending the fiberglass. That's an indication of rot higher up on the transom.

Frankly, unless you take a lot of pleasure in tearing a boat apart and doing months of work, if there's anything questionable about the transom, pass on the boat. It's very hard work, and very expensive to fix.

Same thing with the floor of the boat. Unlike the more expensive Avalon, which is a double hull design, I believe the Trident has a wood floor. Walk around every part of the floor. If you find soft spots, then the same thing applies as with a bad transom. Lots of work and money.

Don't be scared, though. There's a good chance that the boat is sound. Glasspar made good boats.

If this isn't the one, though, keep looking. There are lots of boats out there, and older ones aren't that expensive. If this isn't great, find another one.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

I'm going to take a good look at it this week and will keep all of your advise in-mind. I certainly don't want to get stuck with major project and will move on if there's any question as to the condition. Thanks for your advise and I'll let you know what happens.

tashasdaddy

sorry to be so late, changed the tsat on the Chris Craft this morning, and we were out on it all day. it is a great family boat, the kids if tired can get under the bow, and go to sleep. if it doesn't have a back seat a porch swing makes a great on. you have to modify it a little. i just use one on a 1956 redo that i'm in love with. below are pictures of a restoration of a boat just like our first family boat. this was a wooden boat, but you can see the resemblance. good memories.

Attachments

• 2407.jpg
    2407.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • sports.jpg
    sports.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
  • spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • sportscraft.jpg
    sportscraft.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0

BillP

Captain

I believe early, early (glass with wood frames) Glasspar cabin cruisers used windshieds from first yr corvette autos. Your's looks similar...the shield could be worth big $$$ compared to the ordinary boat value.

bp.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

If I get the boat, I'm thinking of putting a kicker motor on it. A friend of mine has a 6hp Nissan short shaft. Do you think that would work?

tashasdaddy

with a 6hp it's going to be a slow boat to nowhere. that boat can easily handle a 50- 75 hp motor. we had a 60hp on ours. and the trident is heavier than ours.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

I think that you mis-understood. The boat has an older 65hp motor and I was wondering if it might be wise to leave a small motor mounted on the transom as an emergency back-up. I don't know if there's room and I also don't know if a short shaft 6hp would work. Also, would it be easy to find and install a bimini top on this boat?

CATransplant

Admiral

On that boat, I'd recommend something like a 6hp Johnson or Evinrude, mounted on one of those kicker motor mounts that drop down when you need to use the kicker. A short shaft will work on that. An added benefit is that the kicker is up and completely out of the water when not in use.

The thing is that it'll be a little tough on that boat to fit a motor on the transom next to your 65 without interference. Mounting the kicker nearer the side of the boat on one of those units will solve the problem neatly. That's how my dad has always had his Avalon set up, and it's never been a problem.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

How about adding a bimini top? Is that practical? My daughter burns pretty easily and I'd like her to have some refuge from the sun.