1959 FD transom replacement

alf1960

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
7
I am about half finished replacing the transom in my FD. I removed the oak transom board and had an identical one made. A few coats of urathane and it will be ready to go back in. I bought some gasket material to put back in behind it. I need to get the tags off the old board and put them on the new one also. I had to remove the two braces that are rivited in the transom tray in order to get the board out and back in. I guess I will replace the rivits with stainles bolts. I need to find a piece of 3/8 (9mm) marine plywood for the back. Haven`t had any luck yet. I really dont want to buy the whole sheet and use only 9 inches of it. About 70 bucks plus I would have to drive to the twin cities area to get it. Anybody in west central wisconsin area have a piece I could buy??I also just purchased a 1959 full color Alumacraft brochure in mint condition on ebay. Can`t wait till it gets here. After this project gets completed just have to wait till warmer weather to try her out. She will be as good as new. I really like these old boats. Alan
 
Last edited:

ropntoz

Cadet
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
11
Re: 1959 FD transom replacement

Hi there, I'm doing the same to mine but instead of the plywood I'm planing down a nice piece of oak to about 3/8" for the back of transom. what do you think of this approach? there are pics of my boat on my thread.

Ropntoz
 

alf1960

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
7
Re: 1959 FD transom replacement

I am curious to see if the oak cracks or not being that thin. If it doesn`t and you keep it sealed good to protect it from rot, it should work okay. I have been thinking about using a good piece of regular plywood and keeping it sealed good. My boat will probably never be left in the water more than a few days anyway. I am mainly using it for an annual trip to Canada for a week of fishing.
 

ropntoz

Cadet
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
11
Re: 1959 FD transom replacement

Do you have any pics of your boat? and you may be right about the oak cracking, so I may just make my own laminate with thin sheets of oak and really waterproof it.
 
Top