BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1959 35 'rude

just buy new cables.

its worth it, not being stranded...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you can get a box and cables for free, there is certainly nothing wrong with that. If you do this, however, I strongly recommend checking the condition of the cables, end fittings and control box - sometimes there is a reason why something is offered for free.

BTW, you can also buy new end fittings if you decide to go the replacement route.

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

of course, i wasnt planning on just throwing them at the boat and hoping they worked..

this guy restores boats and stuff.. i wouldnt think he'd give me junk though

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a present today!

P1230040.jpg

oh.. wahts in side?

P1230041.jpg

thanks cap! the F N D lever is kinda hard to move but i'll probally lube it up...

i've gotta go outta town in a bit so i'll drop the payment off then

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

could be old cable, may have to replace. also the do not like tight bends.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you are trying to operate the controls while coiled up, thery are bound (pun very much intended) to be hard to move. Open the coils up and pull the cables out straight. If the controls are still stiff, the cables may, indeed, be bad. Another possible cause is hardened grease and dirt inside of the box. To determine whether this is the case, you will need to open the box up, so you may as well clean and regrease it while you're "there."

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the cables are 3-4' too long AHHHH..

i guess theres no way to shorten them.. but i the cables were pretty straight so its probally dirty grease.. all else fails i trade the cables to my old box..

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

My friend, there comes a point when its time to stop fooling around and do something the right way. You now have two of the same control box and two sets of unusable cables.

For about fifty bucks, you can obtain a new and properly sized set of cables for your boat. With those cables and a little maintainance on your original box, you will have a control system that works properly and is safe.

I've tried to help you by describing the various systems in use, how to identify what you have, and how to properly replace your worn and/or nonfunctional parts. Whether or not you accept the wisdom of making sure that a control system that must work properly every single time, does work every time (especially in regard to closing the throttle on your engine), is up to you.

I wish you well.

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i understand completely.. i will eventually get the right thing, but for a free set.. and i can now get on the water.. i'll take the time to get the right ones..