1958 Hydro Swift

krazy karl

Recruit
I have a 1958 Hydro Swift. It is based on a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser right down to the Salmon Color and the white top. From what I have been able to find, it was the first year and the only year to have the Mercury tail fins. Does anyone know why? I have kind of thought that the company may have gotten into trouble with Ford Motor Company for the copying but have never seen anything to that effect. Was there a cease and desist order or was there some other reason the boats became more conventional looking? Curious.
kk

Attachments

• Hydroswift.JPG
    Hydroswift.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1958 Hydro Swift

Hi Karl. Welcome to iboats. Super cool old boat you've got there. I LOVE the twin mercs and hardtop. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Mercs, Fiberglass boats, or the history of you particular model, but the link below may help. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress. Great to have another proper Karl with a "K" in the forums too ;)

Hydro Swift - Classic Boat Library

Maclin

Admiral

Neat boat KK. I do not know anything about those early days of Hydroswift except for the articles Kfa linked to. Those fins are pretty subdued for that era actually. Pretty common styling for boats back then until the 60's.

Do you have twins on that bad boy?

Have you had it out on the water?

krazy karl

Recruit

Thanks. Yes, I have twin MK 55 Mercurys on it. It runs great and we use it as the family runabout. I can't get props with enough pitch for a high top end but it pulls a large tube very well with lots of power. It gets a lot of comments wherever it goes.
kk

janoman70

Recruit

I just acquired a 58 hydroswift. 14ft. Having a real hard time finding information.Pic-06082013-001.jpg

krazy karl

Recruit

That is a lot $'s for that boat. He should show some more pictures, kind of hard to determine the condition it is in. Just like mine however. It is pretty under powered though. It should probably have at least 50hp if not 75.
kk