1957 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 HP cd-14

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 HP cd-14

The coils have to be aligned flush with the locating bosses they sit on, or they will rub the flywheel magnets. Hope your points aren't as rusty as these are, heh-heh. You don't have to use the special tool, but it sure makes it easy.

Attachments

• Coil locating bosses.jpg
    Coil locating bosses.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Coil Ring Std.jpg
    Coil Ring Std.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace the coils with new ones... they will be a "light green" in appearance. You will be amazed at the new life that your motor will have. When you are buying the new coils... you may want to purchase the following: points, condensors, spark plugs, spark plug wire and boots. It is a bit of a pain to get under the flywheel... Once you are there, it is good to have these items on hand so that you can get it all done. When you remove old coils, the point where they attach to the plug wires is often corroded. Remove the old wire. cut a new one to the same size and replace both. Now you will have the confidence that these are all 100% Try and use the "harmonic balance remover method" rather than the "hit me with a hammer" method to remove the flywheel.... It is a much safer route for a beginner. You will also need a torque wrench and a strap wrench to replace the flywheel and nut. I think the nut will need to be tightened to 45lbs. Double check that. Best of luck... it will be work the trip. It is a great little motor.

Tom

corbett79

Cadet

I did replace the old coils with new CDI coils (green)...what do I need to look for in terms of alignment? It took a little convincing (elbow grease), but I got the holes aligned on the new coils and able to secure the 3 bolts just fine.

In terms of the recoil spring; is there a particular number of turns necessary when winding? I just turned it many times to a point I was confident it would retract the starter cord...is this okay, or is there a particular process for this? It wound the cord just find and appeared to be functioning properly/smoothly before securing it to the motor.

Thanks for the fast responses!