1957 fd-11 johnson skeg part number?

stwaller

Cadet
I have a 1957 FD-11. The parts manual just gives you a number of 377117 for yhe lower assu. Can anyone tell me the part number for just the skeg?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There is none because the skeg is matched to the upper part of the gearcase. Yeah, some people have succeeded in mismatching them and gotten away with it, but that isn't supposed to happen.

stwaller

Cadet
There is none because the skeg is matched to the upper part of the gearcase. Yeah, some people have succeeded in mismatching them and gotten away with it, but that isn't supposed to happen.
So if the skeg has damage you have to replace the whole assembly? That does seem right.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are lots of good gearcases that would fit.----These motors were basically the same for 20 years.-----You local ---aomci---- member might have 1 or more.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Weird really.

I found this but not sure where it even is.

stwaller

Cadet
There are lots of good gearcases that would fit.----These motors were basically the same for 20 years.-----You local ---aomci---- member might have 1 or more.

Weird really.

I found this but not sure where it even is.
I saw that earlier. If you click on it, it is sold out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So if the skeg has damage you have to replace the whole assembly? That does seem right.
Consider how it was made and it will make sense. The upper and skeg parts were bolted together, then the inner cavities were machined. So, in theory, no other two parts will match exactly. Some other parts made this way are the cylinder & crankcase and connecting rods.

stwaller

Cadet
Consider how it was made and it will make sense. The upper and skeg parts were bolted together, then the inner cavities were machined. So, in theory, no other two parts will match exactly. Some other parts made this way are the cylinder & crankcase and connecting rods.
I never dreamed they were made that way. Hopefully this one will work since I can't get a replacement.

stwaller

Cadet
Honestly, there's two weld marks on the one side. I was just thinking of replacing it so there were no imperfections on it. I didn't realize the two were a set.