1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18 questions...

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18 questions...

Flathead, did you click on the link I posted in my last reply? I could be wrong but I believe that motor has an electric start, and if it does that price is a bargain. Id gladly drive half a day for that. and of coarse every boat needs a battery for the electric trolling motor, I use two gel cells on my 16 ft. tin boat. Here is a link of what you can expect if you have a battery on your boat

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/squid12121/Lightweight.jpg

Quagmire, I'm thinking that electrical junk on that motor was the jury-rigged electric fuel pump that guy said he was using on that motor. That motor looked like it was owned by the absolute king of jury-riggers!;):D
Anyway, I liked your pic. Nice fish and nice rig!:)
JBJ

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

On "A river runs through it". Do yourself a favor, skip the movie and read the book. The movie isn't that bad as those kinds of movies go but the book is phenomenal!

Cheers...............Todd

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the secret to Laings part #s is their 4 digit part number if you put 18 in front of it, that is the sierra part number, there 6 digit part # is the BRP part #, and usually only availabe thru BRP.

now you can take the sierra # and order from iboats parts.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AHA!! the davinci code has been broken!!

so dark the con of man....

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all!

I am in the process of reviving a 57 fastwin 18 hp Motor. My main question is, where are you guys finding all of your parts? Everyone that I have looked at( I have been searching for quite a while now...) starts all of thier parts around 1958. Was there a major model change there? I am a 2 stroke noob, but I have been building car for over 10 years, so I think I should be able to figure it out. I just need parts! I have been looking throught the iboats listings also, but either the year or the hp is not correct for the parts. I need the lower unit seal kit, and probably much more, but that is my major hangup right now. I am just wondering which bouy all these classic parts houses are tied up to!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I would love to get this thing running, It just loooks like a bunch of fun!!

You might want to check this motor out on eBay .... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957...1587101QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

According to the description, it's a 57 model ... and the pictures look like it's in good shape, especially for its age.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That thing looks like it is in goos shape....and it is an electric! Hmmmmm.I wonder how much shipping would be from back east.....

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Luckily I don't want it. I'm about 80 miles away.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It has already more than doubled in price, maybe there are some iboaters around here that are duking it out!!

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh, one more thing! Does my motor have a thermostat? i have seen some advertised, but after poring over the parts and service manuals, I cannot find one on my motor. Am I just being to hasty with my decision? I am seeing them available from 1959-on in the 18hp.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

No, there's no thermostat on the '57 '18.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, that will save me a couple of bucks!

Oh MAN!! Guess what?! I was just given a 10 hp Honda 4 stroke. Unknown year, unknown condition. I got it from the guy who gave me the Evinrude. I guess now that I have started working on these things, now they will start breeding in my garage......Is that how it works? I know that is how it works with VW Rabbits!!

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I just ordered my first round of repair parts. I got a carb kit, water pump kit, all new ignition parts, plugs and a few more things. And guess what?! iBoats was cheaper than everyone!! But I bet you guys all knew that already!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You're right on the border line...yes, old motors follow you home just like cats and pups after you have fed/sheltered the first one. Do yourself a favor and rig a long 2X10 or 2X12 plank in your shop so you can keep them upright and off the floor of the garage or shop. They're easier to take care of, and hide from the wife, that way...just toss an old tarp/blanket over them and say..."Oh, that's just some stuff that's been laying around awhile...I'll get to it later."

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well they keep adding up, now there are three, and I am not sure what the third one is yet.....I just have to go get it.......

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So anyway, I got my first parts order(thank you iBoats!!) and I replaced the coils, condensers, and points. I still need to find plug wires for it, and get the lower unit back together and the carb and fuel pump rebuilt. Hopefully we will have some attempts to run after all that. I also got my hands on the second motor(I know this is the wrong forum, but..)and it is a 1983 Honda BF100 9.9hp 4 stroke. The darn thing is in great shape, but it needs some help I am sure. Scored the motor, original fuel tank, engine stand, and a 55 gal drum that has been modifed to run and engine in. Oh, and I also got a 1974 Mercury 4 hp also!
DSC_0280.jpg

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IT LIVES!!!

I got it to start on every pull!! I am still figuring out the carb adjustments, can't get it to idle much lower than the "start" position on the handle, maybe 1/4-1/3 throttle. I rebuilt the carb, lower unit, new electronics, plugs, new fuel line, etc. My question is, the water in my run barrell is milky. Now I know that milky lower unit lube is bad, so could the water be getting lube contamination? Or could it be the exhaust getting mixed in with the water? My experience with o/b motors has always been in a lake, so maybe the exhaust is just getting concentrated in the barrel? I ran the mixture at 32:1, so maybe that is a bit rich and smokey?

Also, when I start to idle down, it "bucks" like it is misfiring, so I am guessing that has something to do with the carb settings? I seem to be able to control it with the screws...

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The stuff in the water is the exhaust getting mixed into the water.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, so I finally made it up to the lake to check on the boat, and measured the transom height, and I have a transom height of 20" and the motor is made for a maximum height of 15" This is freaking awesome. Okay, so is there a solution for this? I know there is a long shaft version of my motor, so would I be able to get the long shaft lower unit and bolt it on? The original manual mentions cutting down the transom, but I am assuming they are talking about wood transoms, where mine is fiberglass. I have have also bee told about something that will allow you to drop a motor, as in for trolling, but would this be safe for a primary motor? Man, this sucks, I was really looking forward to running this thing this weekend....:( Help?!?!

56 rude

Banned

Your going to need a donar motor thats a long shaft to convert.Is your boat new or old?Are you planning on keeping the motor for ever?Ive cut the transom down on a couple of glass boats before ,no big deal.Now that being said i had no plans atall of ever replacing the motor again!

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, that is kinda what I thought also. In reality I am not sure what I am going to do with this whole mess. But I can already tell that by the way my summer is planned already, and the fact that we have a baby coming in september, I can tell that nothing is going to get solved this year, and that sucks. I have no idea which direction I am going in, but I will find out when I get there! Thanks for the advice.

When you cut down the fiberglass transom, how do you reinforce it? I am thinking of a stainless "cover" that will clean up the cut and also brace it some.