1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18 questions...

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all!

I am in the process of reviving a 57 fastwin 18 hp Motor. My main question is, where are you guys finding all of your parts? Everyone that I have looked at( I have been searching for quite a while now...) starts all of thier parts around 1958. Was there a major model change there? I am a 2 stroke noob, but I have been building car for over 10 years, so I think I should be able to figure it out. I just need parts! I have been looking throught the iboats listings also, but either the year or the hp is not correct for the parts. I need the lower unit seal kit, and probably much more, but that is my major hangup right now. I am just wondering which bouy all these classic parts houses are tied up to!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I would love to get this thing running, It just loooks like a bunch of fun!!

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18 questions...

Try laingsoutboards.com and use their phone number.
Or even better, get yourself a parts manual so you will know the part numbers to what you need and you can look up quite a bit of them here at iboats.
There are several other places.
Good luck, nice motor! :)
JBJ

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is awesome, I think they have everything I need! I will do some more poking around thier site when I get home tonight! Thanks!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

There's a list of sites/outfits on the Links page at www.aomci.org that specialize in older iron...enjoy your toy!

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks again! Does anyone know what the compression values should be for it?

jbjennings

Captain

There were never any OMC published compression values, but I've found if you get over a 110 lbs., it's probably going to run nice. They'll run even lower than that.
Good luck,
JBJ

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just went out and tested it, and I get between 100 and 105 on both jugs. that was after 3 full pulls, and no oil in the cylinders. So that is pretty exciting news, I guess I am going to go forward with this. Now I need to start getting a parts list together....

I have been reading on setting the carb jets, and there seems to be some really good advice here, which is awesome, as I have never adjusted a carb in my life!

Man, I am going to have trouble sleeping tonight....

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

100-105#'s a side is ample to run fine. Try this place also for parts... they go back to the early 50's for most consumable parts... vintageoutboard.com and in Canada try marinemanifold.com also iboats right here sells parts also... Not sure if they go back to '57 though...

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Evinrude changed the powerhead in I believe 1957 or so. My '56 has the smaller CID powerhead, and I believe the '59 has the 22 CID powerhead. Most, if not all of the bottom end is identical. Jeff at Laings is a good guy, he will help you out. Rick

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I am going to start figuring out just what I need. Laings seemed to have a lot, but I will always check the others also. Thanks again!

jbjennings

Captain

Missoula, MT???? I hear a "River Runs through it..." It was a good movie, is Missoula a good town to live in???
Sure was beautiful in the movie anyway.
Good luck on the motor,
JBJ

Last edited:

wbeaton

Commander

PM me your email address and Ill help you out witht the parts manual. 1956 is 15 hp. Same lower unit. Different powerhead.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Haha, yep good 'ol Missoula! Just a short 75 miles south of Flathead Lake, the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi! The funny thing about that is that I have never actually seen "a river runs throught it" although every bar/restaraunt in this half of the state has an autographed movie poster! My mom bought me the DVD for christmas, and I still haven't seen it!

Oh yeah, and Montana is one of the most beautiful places on earth!

coolguy147

Commander

u can always purchase parts right off here this website called iboats

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mr. Flathead, I checked craigslist in montana, Its a small state, right? I found this. That is one way I get parts for a motor I have. I keep looking around for junkers or just plane ol' cheap ones. I have several 18's, might I also suggest putting on an electric start.
Ronnie

http://montana.craigslist.org/boa/1081077727.html

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

small state??? depends on whether you're talking about e-miles or real windshiled miles. kinda like Tejas...you can surf across it in minutes with the right computer and Internet connection, but driving it is another matter...sometimes a matter of days.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

haha, Montana is the 4th largest state! I have actually left Missoula at noon, and 12 hours later I was still here!! Seriously though, i appreciate you looking out for me. I have thought about electric start, it is very difficult to convert? Also, you would have to have a battery in order to do that, wouldn't you? I don't think I will have a battery in my boat. Although I would love to put a center helm on the boat, so that would be a place to stash one!

wbeaton

Commander

Conversion is easy if you've got the parts. Now where are you going to get the parts? Not a lot of them laying around.

If you did get the parts, you could mount the solenoid under the cowl and just run the wires to a battery box at the base of the transom. Up under the console would be a little too far. You'd probably have to get bigger battery cables.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try this place also for parts... they go back to the early 50's for most consumable parts... vintageoutboard.com ...

I looked into those guys, and they seem to have a lot of what I need also. And another plus is that they are "local" as Spokane is only about 2 hours from me. Shipping will be quick and maybe sometime I will stop in for some pointers!

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Flathead, did you click on the link I posted in my last reply? I could be wrong but I believe that motor has an electric start, and if it does that price is a bargain. Id gladly drive half a day for that. and of coarse every boat needs a battery for the electric trolling motor, I use two gel cells on my 16 ft. tin boat. Here is a link of what you can expect if you have a battery on your boat

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/squid12121/Lightweight.jpg