1957 Evinrude 5.5

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
This came with a small aluminum boat my son couldn't pass up.
Stored for 8 years or more, previous owner had a stroke and can't tell us anything about it or the other motors.
Wondering about it's value?
Also first steps to testing it?
Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 20201015_110015.jpg
    20201015_110015.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
Found the other pics

Attachments

• Evinrude 5.5 l.jpg
    Evinrude 5.5 l.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Evinrude 5.5 numbers.jpg
    Evinrude 5.5 numbers.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Ev 5.5 l.jpg
    Ev 5.5 l.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Ev 5.5 r.jpg
    Ev 5.5 r.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a 59 model to me.-----Remove inspection plate on top of flywheel to inspect coils.-----Look at the thermostat.-----Mix gas and oil at 24:1 and see if it runs.-------A new impeller for water pump should be installed if it runs nicely.

lindy46

Captain
Looks like a 59 model to me.-----Remove inspection plate on top of flywheel to inspect coils.-----Look at the thermostat.-----Mix gas and oil at 24:1 and see if it runs.-------A new impeller for water pump should be installed if it runs nicely.
Also change the gearcase oil and see if there is water in there.

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to all!
Yes, 57 was my typo, Duh. I knew 59 as it is the same age as I am. Too far into the wee hours when I typed 57.
I love parts breakdown diagrams, thank you.

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
OK, Feeling kinda stupid because I can't quite figure this out. I've been turning wrenches since grammer school and mechanically inclined so this is frustrating.
I can't get anything to unlatch to tilt this motor. I see a couple different mechanisms in the leg that should/could do it, but nothing seems to release them. What is the latch on the front below the tuning knobs?
The protruding pin down on the leg that appears to adjust the trim also will not move to a different position.
Also, there is a pin near the fuel connector, close to the bevel gears, that looks like it had a spring or linkage rod on it but I can't tell what or where the other end of such would attach to.
Thanks, Dave

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Push that lever down and to the left. You should then be able to tilt the motor.

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
I thought that was it but it will NOT go the last 1/6" to be able to move to the left. At least I'm on the right track. Thanks, Dave

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
remove the starter assembly (3 bolts) remove the small plate on top of the flywheel and look inside if coils are all cracked...time to get new ones...points etc... to refurbish this a a great hobby ( be carefull ...very addictive once you enjoy the outcome)

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
Happy gonna-be boater here! The Golden Jubilee 5.5 runs!!
It probably runs better than I do at this age. :))
It had spark on the top cylinder but not bottom. Pulled flywheel. The coils, points, condensers, look recent and good. Gap is good, ran some emery through the points, cleaned with contact cleaner, and presto: spark from both plugs!
Filled a garbage can under the lower, hung a gravity gas tank up, and she fired up after a couple pulls! Had Quicksilver Marine TSO at 16-1 just to be sure everything had a good shot of oil after sitting for years so it smoked quite a bit.
Water spewing out of the upper discharge hole. Ran fine at the start position, revved up fine, N, F & R all work, but didn't want to idle without dying. Couldn't run long enough to warm up because reverse knocked a hole in the water can. ;-) Never saw that happen on youtube, lol.

How lean can I mix the Quicksilver for this motor?
Grabbed the QS just because it was what Napa had on the shelf.

Is there another TSO that would be significantly better?

Now I just have to clean the original pressure tank and hope it works like the motor without a complete rebuild.

Any trick or hope for low speed and idle without pulling the carb?

Any concern about the thermostat?
Remove and clean? Check in a pan of boiling water like an auto 'stat?

Thanks, Dave

lindy46

Captain
Any TCW-3 oil will be ok. I use the Walmart brand with good results. Oil is cheap, run 16:1. Start out with the slow speed needle at 1.5 turns out and adjust until it idles good. If it won't idle, remove the carb and clean/rebuild it. Make sure to remove the plug on the top of the carb as that is the idle circuit. Check the orifice where the needle seats and make sure it's not chipped. Clean the holes in the bottom of the chamber.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Lindy knows his stuff, but I would use a 24:1 ratio to avoid potentially fouling plugs. Don't overlook the idle circuit that L. describes.