1956 scott lower

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a 1956 scott model 3765, the lower gets water in it bad, I need info on what to do to drop the lower to reseal, never did a scott b4, thanks.

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1956 scott lower

I guess nobody knows, I don"t usually get many answers, have I been blackbald?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Don't feel bad. You've not been blackballed. I ask many questions and never receive answers. I usually answer questions that I think I'm half qualified for but refrain if I think I may give inadequate advice. Everyone here is very helpful but many of us are tinkerers and have limited knowledge which is dictated by experience with certain brand and horsepower. I have no knowledge of certain technical problems, certain motors, certain horsepower, etc. I only work with motors of 25 hp or less and motors that are from the 50's to 70's. It would be more helpful if you told us the horsepower versus the model #. I have a number of Scotts and Firestones but I've never worked on a lower unit reseal. Dropping the lower unit on most of them is easy. Just look for the nuts that hold it up. There is one that is inside the cover for the gears (up top). You need to remove that back cover (screw) first to access the nut.

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class

old member of aomc told me you have to pull the power head, I did that on a parts motor, the impeller is up high under the power head. anyway he told me to use lubriplate 105, that seems to have taken care of 90 percent of the water entry. to reseal these motors is a *****. he told me not to bother it will still leak.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Look for fish line around the prop shaft & seal. You may get lucky. You don't have to remove the lower unit to replace that seal, just the bearing housing. If that isn't the problem, send me a PM. I don't remember what is involved to remove the gearcase but I can look it up. I have the service manual.