1956 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp Water Pump

markb68

Recruit
I got the water pump out of this thing finally. The drive shaft was somewhat worn below the pump housing.
The bottom part of the housing has a slight crack in it and is kind of dished out. I'm concerned that it will not seal over the intake tube that it sits on.
Is this an issue?
I was hoping to just replace the impeller.
Should I go ahead and buy a the whole #763758 water pump kit? I've read in some of the other posts that it is a little different.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1956 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp Water Pump

Are you referring to the bearing plate that sits under the water pump, top of the lower unit?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you referring to the bearing plate that sits under the water pump, top of the lower unit?

Reading BK's mind, if that is what you are referring to, and it looks like it was pushed upward and cracked, that is exactly what has happened. The shock absorber below it is broken.

Concerning the other question, yes if you choose to put in a complete kit, it is the same one used on newer motors and is considerably different. But fear not, they work well.

But you have to address the broken shock absorber and bearing housing before you worry about a pump.

Attachments

• Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Deleted.

markb68

Recruit

That's exactly what mine looks like BK.
Can the shock absorber be fixed? Or, do I need to start looking for one?

Thanks for the Reply FR. I went ahead and ordered the water pump.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Can't be fixed to what it was out of the factory, a mig welder on low and some patience can weld the shock together so it doesn't come apart again. If you go this route, replace the drive pin with a soft shear pin. Or you can bite the bullet and find a used one. I read once on this site that there was a Marine shop in the states that sold new ones stil, $90 or some crazy amount for a new one.

The bearing plate will need to be replaced as well.

markb68

Recruit

I got the shock absorber out and I'm not sure if it was replaced or something but it's not broken. Maybe it sprung up and then retracted without breaking?

Anyway it looks like I'll be able to use it.

But can anyone tell me where I can get the bearing carrier and what part number it is? (I think that's what it's called) It's the cast metal bottom half of the water pump. I received my water pump kit, but it just came with the top half of the pump housing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I got the shock absorber out and I'm not sure if it was replaced or something but it's not broken. Maybe it sprung up and then retracted without breaking?

Anyway it looks like I'll be able to use it.

But can anyone tell me where I can get the bearing carrier and what part number it is? (I think that's what it's called) It's the cast metal bottom half of the water pump. I received my water pump kit, but it just came with the top half of the pump housing.

The shock absorber is broken. Look at the picture I posted. The big spring inside is what breaks, and the broken ends ride up on each other, forcing the upper and lower section apart, making it too long to fit in the space that it goes in. That is what breaks the bearing plate. We used to see a broken one once in awhile. But now that they are 50 years old, the springs are getting fatigued and breaking. It now happens often.

The original bearing plate, part number 376074, is obsolete. You have to replace it with a 382796. The difference is the 382796 takes a different seal. You will have to remember that if you ever go to buy a new seal. Get the part from any Evinrude dealer.