1956 Evinrude Fastwin 15 woes

J_48_Johnson

Cadet
Howdy all, first time posting but I have been lurking here and have had a multitude of problems fixed already by reading the posts. Here's my story so far...

Five buddies and myself planed a trip to Canada for a guys week of fishing. I've been to Canada many times but it was always as a family thing when I was a kid, and the last time I was there has been like 17 years ago. This would be only the second time I've been up there as an adult, and the first time with just the guys.

Since I have a 14' deep vee that I have set up how I want, and a trusty 15 h.p. motor what could go wrong, right? I ran the motor for a few hours at a local lake to make sure the motor ran fine, which it did and has since I bought it back in 2005.

The trip up was fine, but as we got the boats in the water just after arriving I fired the 'Ol Evinrude up and it was missing, smoking and running really bad. We limped along for the evening just to get a couple hours of fishing in the first night there, but something was definately amiss with the motor. Once we got back to the dock it was almost dark so I couldn't really do much with it then, but I did pull the glass bowl off of the bottom of the carb and found a little sediment and maybe a tad of water in in. Since the black flies and mosquitos were eating me alive, I packed it in for the night and would worry about it in the morning.

The next morning I went to the dock fired it up and it ran the same. We pulled the motor off of the boat, (now mind you I'm holding 5 other guys up from fishing on our big fishing trip of the year with this motor), pulled the carb off the motor and took it down and blew air through everything we could find. Put it back together, put it back on the boat....same thing. I ended up renting a 9.9 for the week and loaded my 15 h.p. boat anchor into the bed of my truck.

Once home, (we had a great trip by the way catching close to 1000 fish between the 6 of us for the week), I got online and found these forums. I read what I thought would be pertinent to my woes, and I see that the coil packs in these motors go bad....a lot. I ordered two of everything, (coils, points, condensers), and new spark plug wire along with a box of spark plugs. I borrowed a compression tester and a flywheel puller from a buddy and tore into it while I was waiting for the parts to arrive.

I have the manual for the motor and as long as the compression is within 10%~ it's okay it says. I checked mine, and although low I think, (48 Lb.), it is within a pound at the most between the cylinders. Compression: Good. I pulled the flywheel off after making the run to the hardware store to buy the right bolts for the puller to fit my flywheel and pulled it. Everything, (like the rest of the motor), looks new. The coils, the points, the condensers all look factory new. The wires however were a different story. Where they come out of the armature plate and around the outside of the motor I noticed a rub in both of them but at different spots. The one looked like it MAY have been bad enough to be causing my problem which was kind of one cylinder not firing, and the other one firing when it wanted too. I had the A-HA moment! There's my problem! Since I already ordered the new parts, I figured for $110.00 bucks total why not put all new in it so I don't have problems down the road with it. I have it apart now, I'm going to change the works.

The parts arrived, I jumped on it and changed everything out. Cut new wire leads, coils, condensers, and points, along with fresh plugs. I set the gap in the plugs and points, made sure my air gap for the magneto was okay, and set everything up. All is good, so I put everything back together, spun the flywheel by hand and checked for spark, and there it was in both plugs. Problem solved, (or so I thought). Put her on the boat and off to the lake I went. I launched and had the boat tied off to the dock. I pulled, and pulled, and pulled some more and it finally kicked. A few more pulls and my problem was gone!... but another one had appeared. I went and got the truck, put the boat back on the trailor and brought the whole hot mess home. Took the motor back off the boat, put it back on the stand and had at it again.

ROUND #2

Pulled the flywheel off and right away noticed this black burnt looking powder that wasn't there when I put everything together. Apon further inspection I saw that the amount of black powder looking stuff seemed to eerily match the amount of coil ground wire lead insulation that was missing from one said wire. ARGH! I didn't rout the wire far away enough from the timing lobe wheel thingy for the points! @#$!@$%&*!@ Okay, 1, 2, 3, .....10. Down to the basement I went looking for a saving grace to pull my butt out of the fire and save the brand new coil I just installed. ...There it is....red RTV, and it isn't dried up! WOOT! It must be all of that clean living I've been doing *cough*

Back in the garage, I dope up my coil wire with the silicone, route it away from the spot it had been in and shut the door for the night while it cured. The next day I checked on it, the silicone was cured, and all looked good. I rechecked everything else, (I don't care for how the points are set on these motors but that's a different story), put everything back together....again, and put her on the.....wait a minute....How about I grab that old plastic trash can and fill it up with water so I don't make an *** of myself....again at the lake. Filled it up, inserted motor, hooked the fuel line up and gave her a go. After a few pulls she was purring like a kitten. One thing I did notice though as I pumped up my tank, (I still sport the old style pressure tank), I saw some fuel leaking around the carb from somewhere. It looked like it was coming from the needle seats, but I couldn't be sure.

The following morning I took my Dad fishing for his first time of the year. Ah yes, nothing like getting up at the butt crack of dawn to fish with your Dad, but I digress. On the water this time she did fine and she always did but I did have a slight problem. The packing wasn't tight enough and they let the high speed needle go rich as I operated the boat. I had to reach back and crank the large knob clockwise and boy would she perk up. Wait a few seconds and the RPM's would lower back down and I would do it all over again. I need to fix this.

Back to the forums I came, and I found my answers yet again. I searched around and found a complete carb kit, (with the float since mine is the original cork), and ordered it. It came in today and I just finished rebuilding the carb. to go along with my new electronic system. I ran out of light but I do believe if I were a betting man, I would bet that I will be in the middle of a lake tomorrow fishing away.

...Stay tuned

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1956 Evinrude Fastwin 15 woes

Sounds like you have everything under control.

jbjennings

Captain

If you keep having trouble with it, you might consider checking the lower crankshaft seal. I've heard they had problems with that.
Good luck,
JBJ

J_48_Johnson

Cadet

Well, I'm happy to report that the motor did a fantastic job today out on the lake. Since I've owned it, it has never ran as good as it did today. The idle was lower rpm thatn it has ever been, w/o any problems, and at speed I was moving faster than I ever have with it pushing me. The low speed needle setting the service manual recomended of 1 1/2 turns open was spot on as I didn't have to adjust it at all, while the 3/4 of a turn for the high speed needle was a bit off. I set it to 3/4, but when I got it up to speed, I dialed it in 1/8 of a turn and waited for the change to happen. What I ended up with was 3/4 of a turn, (the service manual recomended starting point), and then I ended up turning it in 1/8 of a turn from there. That's where it ran the best. Thank you all for the information on these forums.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad it is working for you.