1956 10hp johnson seahorse, what am i looking at as far as value

hey guys I cam into posession recently of a 1956 (I think) 10 hp johnson seahorse and the pressurized steel tank, the engine runs but the pull start cord broke recently. can any of you guys give a rough idea what would be a reasonable asking price for the engine and the tank?

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1956 10hp johnson seahorse, what am i looking at as far as value

It sort of depends on where you live, the 10hp are great motors (I have a '61), but some lakes have a 10hp cap, hence all of the 9.9hp and 9.5hp that out there. Considering the motor runs and does have the pressurized tank and is a fairly desirable model I think you could ask $300, or so for both, but be prepared to haggle. Just out of curiosity, why not keep it for yourself? You can convert her to a modern fuel pump and get her all tuned up for less than $150, and you'll have a strong, great lookin' little motor. Good luck.

because I have a 25 horse on my MFG which I'm happy with and a 5 horse for my little john boat, I guess the short answer is that while it's a real cool little engine I don't have a boat to put it on, I'd be happier to sell it to someone who's going to use it rather than me keep it and just have it sit.

kfa4303

Banned

Gotcha. Whoever gets it will be getting a nice little motor. Very cool looking and still running 50+ years later!