1955 johnson 5 1/2 troubles RESOLVED

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1955 johnson 5 1/2 troubles RESOLVED

New coils are in order - not uncommon on those old Johnrudes. New ones might set you back $15.-$20 depending on where you get them. I am pretty sure iboats carries them, as does your local Johnrude dealer, NAPA, West Marine, etc. Might as well replace the condensers and points while you're in there. Lots of posts here on setting up the coils and gapping the points...<br />- Scott

greyelk81

Cadet

I have a 1957 CD-14 5.5hp Johnson that ran exactly how you describe your motor. I got the coils for it on the internet. I had one problem with no consistent spark on one wire after I deid that. After trying new wires, I replaced the new coil with anther one and its been running great ever since. Good luck!!!

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

greyelk,<br />i talked with my local napa store, they are getting me some parts.<br />i do some fishing at prairie rose and littlefield.<br />what part of ia are you in? :)

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

finally got some parts!installed coils and points,manual(oh yeah got one of those too)says something about a special service tool to index the points 180 deg from each other. can i get by without it? the boss is going north for a fishing trip this weekend so it looks like i'll have some time to work on this thing while he's gone.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Skeezx,<br /> No, you don't need the OMC tool. Just gap each points at .020" with the fiber cam rider aligned with the crankshaft keyway. It's self-timing from there. Be sure to add a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil to the cam wick, and if that's missing, lightly grease the cam with grease so that the fiber cam riders don't wear out prematurely...<br />- Scott

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here's an update...all ignition components installed and adjusted, dropped lower unit and installed new water pump.fresh gas with correct 24:1 ratio.tug-tug-tug-pop through the exaust, switched plug wires around tug-tug-....RUN! fiddled with high idle and then low idle... still running at idle :D <br />let run in old wringer washer tub for @ 1/2 hr,then tried fw and rev both working fine untill clang-clang,prop hit washer agitator, rats :eek: only knocked small chunks out of prop, i think i can dress off the rough edges and it'll be fine. so now it's off to prairie rose to try the water out.unhooked fuel line to put engine in pickup and fuel starts to spray out, old o-rings in connector, i can fix that later,so loosen fuel cap to stop spraying.drive home, put motor on boat, also put on electric trolling motor for insurance ;) , and it's off to the lake. got he boat in the water by myself and engine starts on second pull :D so let it warm up while i park the pickup. get back and ready to go, take off from the dock and then... blah, it quits,electric motor back to dock and tug-tug- tug...nothing for about what seems like an hour,remember the fuel cap i loosened when i left the shop? yeah that DOES have to be tight to make the engine run! that being done off i go to tear up the calm water ( and adjust the carb a little more)on my new favorite toy :D <br />thanks to all who have helped on this project i don't think it could have been done without you'all<br />skeezx<br /><br /><br />oh did i mention that you can't put the electric trolling motor too close to the gas motor? two props dinged on the first time out has to be some sort of a record right? :rolleyes:

alcan

Commander

This is great news skeeze. Now change out those shot o-rings in the connector. It will make a world of difference. Search previous post for info on how to do this. Chinewalker and I have written several threads on the subject. I feel it is good practice to depresureize the tank when ever the motor is not in use, i.e. when transporting tank,storing tank or even stopping to hunt or fish for an extended period. This just makes things a little less messy.

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think it's finished. new hose on tank and o-rings in connector. those o-rings arn't so bad to change.after sitting outside for a week i went out last night, hooked up the tank, primed,pulled out the choke,and pulled the rope 2 times, and it ran like a champ.i think i'll take the day off friday and go fishing. :) <br />thanks to all who took out time to guide me through this process, see ya at the lake.<br />skeez