1955 johnson 5 1/2 troubles RESOLVED

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Having some trouble with my 1955 cd-12. First off the pull starter "misses" about half the time, took it off and everything looks in order. All the dogs come out at the beginning of the stroke but when installed on the engine it doesn't always catch.<br />Problen #2 is the engine won't idle. I have removed the carb and blasted areosol carb cleaner through all the passage then installed a new carborator kit (purchased from oem), could i have the float set wrong? Turning the throttle to "start" or more and every thing is fine, but trying anything slower the engine dies. :confused: <br /> this engine has been set fallow for a number of years and i don't know is history of performance.

D

DJ

Re: 1955 johnson 5 1/2 troubles RESOLVED

skeez,<br /><br />Is your fuel tank holding pressure?

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dj<br /><br />I think so. Whenever i remove the cap it lets out a small rush of air.

alcan

Commander

Hi Skeezx<br />Emmm huh I like biscuts and mustard also. Well old Middleground described a later model starter for you pretty good. You starter has nor nylon pawl. Check to see that it is lubed properly and that all three return springs are attached to the dogs. If they are missing make some from ball point pens etc. Check to see the float is adjusted correctly. The proper level is parralle to the carb body when inverted. Next check to see that the main noozle gasket is intact. It is located inside the bowl. Next did you dial in the needles correctly? Check for air leaks at the connector.

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alcan & middleground<br /> first off, THANX<br /><br />i'll tear into the pawls and springs tonight after work.<br />as for the carb, the float is level and the main nozzle gasket is in place. On the needles i started at 1 1/4 turn back from "tight".

alcan

Commander

That will be 1 1/2 turns out for the low speed and 3/4 turn out on the high speed. Set up motor so you can run full throtle in water, safely. Once motor is at normal opperating temp and WOT dial in the high speed needle. It might need leaned a small amount. Then throtle down slowly,to the point where motor wants to die, start to lean out the low speed needle a little at a time. Take a 1/8 turn or less and wait for a few sec for motor to respond. It should pick up speed. When it does throtle down some more. Do this until the motor will stay running with the throtle plate fully closed. Then you can set low seed need where it needs to be. If you can not get the motor to repsond to the low speed needle with the throtle closed you have an obstruction in the low speed circut passages. The other possibility is that you may be sucking air by the needle. Make sure to gentley snug packing nuts. Also remove the knobs for adjustment so you do not get false readings from the stops. Once dialed in reset the knobs.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also, when making adjustments to carb, make sure the motor is running in fresh air. If it is running in a barrel, it may suck in its own exhaust and cause the motor to run poorly...<br />- Scott

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when i was fooling with it last time the intake silencer was removed, would this make a difference?

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well heres how it went last night...<br />tore the starter apart and lined every thing up in the correct ;) order this time, a little lube here and there, a little spring repair, and VIOLA! a starter that hits on every pull! :) :) <br /><br />now off to the carb...<br />started out with alcan's carb settings and got her warmed up, still won't come to idle.rats :mad: :confused: :( arm is tired from pulling, hot & sweaty, time for a beer. :) maybe tomorrow i'll start off with removing the carb and blow out the idle passages, again.<br />sure sounds good when it does run, not bad for an engine the next door neighbor didn't want. :D <br /><br />thanx for the help so far guys! i'll let you know how i make out later...

alcan

Commander

Skeezx, the carb is just one part of the equation. Be sure your tank,hose and connector are in good working order. Also you need to inspect the ignition componates. Check the coils for cracks, if they are replace them. At least clean and regap the points. I think were getting ahead of ourselves here. Did you do a compression test? If not, do so first. Is the cooling system working? Make sure your running 24:1 mix.

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'll take your suggestions and see if i can get some time after job #2 tonight. thanx again :)

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry i havn't updated youall lately my schedule hasn't allowed any time for boat motor repair, the olelady seems to think mowing and taking care of the kids should come first. i guess they are only little once! thanks for being patient with me.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may not be the same situation but,<br />Have you checked the lower unit lube? The 57' I have would not run below 1/2 throttle and was a bear to get started. After checking the lower unit I found aluminum filings in the oil. Turned out the spring clutch on drive shaft let go and was chewing up the water pump base. Hopefully you do not have the same setup, kind of a pain to drop the lower unit.

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kevin<br />i changed it, put in fresh valvoline 80-90. also sprayed 1/2 can of brakeleen through to clean up. no filings only nasty smelling old oil.<br />thanx though

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

had some time last night!<br />tank and hose = good shape,keeps pressure for a week<br />ignition= good shape, lotsa spark<br />cooling systen= good shape, water comes out the exaust hole<br />compression= 85 psi top and bottom<br />still starts up and runs but will not idle<br />i suspect carboration.

alcan

Commander

Clean carb, pay speical attention to the low speed circut. Check the link and sync. look for wear on the throtle cam follower. If this does not give results, engine won't idle, won't respond to the low speed needle adjustments. The you may be looking at leaking crank case seals. Usually main seals, probably the lower main seal.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know if this will help. <br /><br />I run a '54 7.5 'rude. It would start well but I could never troll with it. It would stall.<br /><br />Tank kept pressure etc.<br /><br />I changed the fuel lines because I wanted to relocate tank to front of boat.<br /><br />It trolls wonderfully now.<br /><br />I guess the lines were sucking air.<br /><br />Just a thought.<br /><br />Joe

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NEW SEALS yuck-o :eek: <br />i'll rip off the carb this weekend and hope for the best. :) <br />just a thought...there is a rubber line on the right side of the engine that looks a touch crusty, it appears to go from one part of the crankcase to another.could this leak and cause trouble? i'll replace it anyway.whatsitfor?<br />as always thanx

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe that hose brings the oil from the bottom of the crank to the top bearing/bushing. If it leaks or is looking like it will fall apart, replace it. I do believe it is a molded hose. Are you sure it's crusty and not just paint peeling?

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK here we go, took off carb and sprayed through idle passages.looks good.no junk inside.put that back on.replaced rubber line on right side and also air line from fuel coupler to crank case for good measure. start her up and set high idle, engine sound awsome. :) tried to idle down still no dice :( so lets look at the ignition a little closer. :eek: :rolleyes: i had assumed that if i had spark all was ok, not so marry jo. upon closerinspection the coils have cracks. :eek: is it possible that the coils are only producing adequate spark at higher rpm? it also seems that the warmer the engine gets the higher you have to rev it to keep it running.