1955 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin Tilt

Ryles

Recruit
Hi, I'm new to the forum (but I've read a ton). I recently acquired a 1955 Evinrude 7.5 Fleetwin and have a question about the tilt. I also have a 1965 Johnson 6hp and it has a lever to release the lockout which allows the tilt to move. The 1955 7.5 does not appear to have a lever anywhere around the transom clamps/handle. I have seen a lever on parts lists for 1957. So my question is around how I get the motor to trim up. I can't seem to get the little bar to release out of the groove to allow the motor to tilt. I also would think this would not be something that you could do manually while using the motor with no remote lever. Any tips? What am I missing? Any help would be much appreciated.

Ryles

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Tilt the motor. Take hold of the bar and raise it upward, move it to the notch you want and drop it back down. Done.
OR are you saying the motor won't tilt? That is a different question. Motor has to be in neutral or forward gear to tilt. Then simply pull it up. No release lever like the 1957 or newer, it is done automatically by the shifter.

Ryles

Recruit
So the bar won't disengage enough to slide out of it's current slot (motor in full down position). I likely will never run it higher than that but I need to be able to tilt the motor up when pulling the boat out of the water, etc. Should the motor just tilt up regardless of the bar being locked in a position? I'm aware of the reverse lock out. I actually have the spring disconnected on it just to make sure it was releasing enough.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The bar cannot move without first tilting the motor. Just grab hold and tilt it up. BUT you cannot tilt the motor unless shift is in neutral or forward.

If it is unlocked and won't tilt, try loosening the nut on the tilt hinge thru-bolt. That bolt determines the tilt friction you desire.

Ryles

Recruit
Thanks for the help. Mostly user error on my part but you directions got me there. Here’s a photo of the brothers.

Attachments

• photo326834.jpg
    photo326834.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1