1953/54 Evinrude Fastwin 15HP - Won't Idle

beverly

Seaman
Re: 1953/54 Evinrude Fastwin 15HP - Won't Idle

Here is something I thought of. when the control is at START (mid) and if I unhook the butterfly valve on the carb. I can bring the 15 down to an idle and it won't die until the control is at shift and lower. That is what got me thinking it was the coils/condensers/point which in turn got me to remove the flywheel and check everything. Here is a few question the thing that turns under the flywheel to get timing advance.
Can this whole plate be adjusted or is adjustable about and inch or half an inch?

The reason I ask is when the handle is at SLOW the roller that controls the carb. and it starts to open up or close the butterfly valve that connects/touches under the flywheel for the timing advance spark thing/plate starts to come off track and the the roller starts to ride the spark plug wires when the control handle is at the STOP position.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Dont pay much attention to the pointer on the tiller handle, just a ROUGH guide, and are usually offf.

beverly

Seaman

Dont pay much attention to the pointer on the tiller handle, just a ROUGH guide, and are usually offf.

Hmmmm, could it be that either the control handle is off by a tooth or two where it makes connection to the rod attached that runs vertically up to some other attachment for the electronic ignition plate under the flywheel

or/and

the rod that connects the the carb. butterfly to the roller attachment/lever that rolls on the ignition plate under the flywheel.

How long is the rod? That rod is bent and looks rusted as if someone replaced it. The book says Throttle lever and cam follower link part number 203275 #24

When looking at the book I see a filter in the carb., what is this filter? 64 65 66 67 68

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain

Check to make sure the throttle butterfly just starts to open when the cam follower (roller) hits the mark on the cam. The cam is adjustable to make it so. When the throttle is fully advanced, the butterfly should be wide open. Also check the rod which connects the throttle shaft to cam follower arm. The arm may have more than 1 hole and I've seen the connection rod inserted into wrong hole, throwing the timing way off. See part #25 in diagram.

Attachments

• fastwincarb.jpg
    fastwincarb.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 2

beverly

Seaman

Check to make sure the throttle butterfly just starts to open when the cam follower (roller) hits the mark on the cam. The cam is adjustable to make it so. When the throttle is fully advanced, the butterfly should be wide open. Also check the rod which connects the throttle shaft to cam follower arm. The arm may have more than 1 hole and I've seen the connection rod inserted into wrong hole, throwing the timing way off. See part #25 in diagram.

I'll be. I didn't notice the two holes until now. It was always in the furthest hole even on the cam follower lever. So that mark on the on the cam, is that idle or STOP.

rps20120915_094914.jpg

lindy46

Captain

Forget the terms "idle" and "stop" - they're just relative terms, and the marks on the twist grip are NOT accurate. The mark on the cam is the spot where the follower roller should just start to crack the throttle butterfly. If the butterfly opens too soon or too late, the synchronization is off between the magneto and the carb, and the motor will not run at optimum.

beverly

Seaman

A video treat, well still the same problem.Cam adjustment Evinrude 1955.jpg

lindy46

Captain

Did you bend that #24 connecting rod? Pic #2 looks like it's bent a lot more than pic#4. It should not be bent that far. Try mounting it in the other hole on the throttle arm #25 and see if it makes a difference. The object is to get the throttle to just start opening when the roller hits the mark on the cam, and at the same time, the butterfly should be fully open when the throttle (twist grip) is fully advanced.

beverly

Seaman

Did you bend that #24 connecting rod? Pic #2 looks like it's bent a lot more than pic#4. It should not be bent that far. Try mounting it in the other hole on the throttle arm #25 and see if it makes a difference. The object is to get the throttle to just start opening when the roller hits the mark on the cam, and at the same time, the butterfly should be fully open when the throttle (twist grip) is fully advanced.

That rod was bent when I got the 15 so I bent it more to idle (Trial and Error) but it only opened up so far. It seems the Armature Plate isn't moving far enough to open the the throttle butterfly wide open.

This picture shows the Armature Plate freed from the tiller link and moved to the max position.
IMAG0034.jpgrps20120915_233329_449.jpg

Something is stopping the Armature Plate from moving any further up.

nwcove

Admiral

i just had a look at my 15012, and the rod is in the lower hole. also the rod is perfectly straight and about 43mm long. ( looks like yours could be home made?)

AlTn

Commander

is the motor in gear when you're trying to advance the throttle?..it'll only go so far in neutral. How much wear do you have in the throttle plate shaft? w/o the throttle cam link attached are there any spots in rotating the shaft that will cause it to bind or feel "rough" in its movement esp. if you put any lateral pressure on it? I ask because I chased I problem like yours on a '59 10hp. evinrude. I bought new bell cranks and link rod < pricey > and got no relief. If there's too much wear and the throttle butterfly can't shut off the carb throat completely, it's almost impossible to get it to idle correctly.

beverly

Seaman

i just had a look at my 15012, and the rod is in the lower hole. also the rod is perfectly straight and about 43mm long. ( looks like yours could be home made?)

My rod is bent and it is about 47 mm straight point to point. Looks home made and rusty.

is the motor in gear when you're trying to advance the throttle?...
no

Forget the terms "idle" and "stop" - they're just relative terms, and the marks on the twist grip are NOT accurate. The mark on the cam is the spot where the follower roller should just start to crack the throttle butterfly. If the butterfly opens too soon or too late, the synchronization is off between the magneto and the carb, and the motor will not run at optimum.

Note taken.

See the video of my adjustments. You can really see the relative term of idle and stop on the tiller handle. I'll run it tomorrow and shoot another video.

lindy46

Captain

Looks like you've got it pretty close. You may have to straighten the connecting rod a little more to get full throttle. Then you can adjust the cam slightly as needed, if necessary.

beverly

Seaman

Looks like you've got it pretty close. You may have to straighten the connecting rod a little more to get full throttle. Then you can adjust the cam slightly as needed, if necessary.

Thanks everyone. The 15 finally idled today.

I straighten up the rod and adjust the cam further back as far as it will go. So far it fires right up and idles pretty low which is awesome to achieve. I am very confident the 15 will either blow up or cruise when WideOpenThrottle. Now to hit the river hopefully this year. If I remember to take a video on the river, I'll surely post it up of it reving, idle, and WOTing.

Here is a video of it idling.

nwcove

Admiral

good work !! and have fun on the river.

lindy46

Captain

Great! Glad you got it running!

nwcove

Admiral

just had another look at the last vid....and at 0:24, it shows the lu , and its not submerged enough for the motor to pump well. should be another 4 or 5 inches down. i personally find it hard to tune a motor that may be running hot, and have no back pressure on the exhaust. jmo