1951 Sea King outboard neutral clutch problem

servicepcrc

Recruit
I'm having a problem with the neutral clutch in my sea king. What happens is it that when I run it the motor locks up from the clutch slipping or binding (at first I thought i really locked it up!) but removing the lower unit and putting it back on solves the issue. It's something worn out or binding in the neutral shaft/clutch. I've checked the linkages also and tried adjusting them. (the cable that operates it)

I've tore it apart (the lower unit) and there's 2 springs that go over the drive shafts, a driveshaft that comes from the motor that is square on 2 sides, and a round lower driveshaft that connects to the prop.

What should I do! Is there a kit or part I can by to convert it to just direct drive so I can just run it in drive and skip the whole neutral thing?

thanks!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1951 Sea King outboard neutral clutch problem

What model number?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That would be a Gale model 5D10, built for Montgomery Ward. There are two springs in there, a lighter one is the neutral clutch, and a very thick one that is a shock absorber that releases when you whack an underwater stump. The shock absorber one is notorious for breaking and locking up the unit. Go to www.aomci.org and put a free want ad on their classfied ads pages. Make sure you get the one for the neutral clutch style lower unit. The full gearshift lower unit has a similar but different shock absorber. Your Gale lower unit is the same as a 5hp Johnson TD model series, from the water pump on down.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You might could replace the lower with another, earlier direct drive lower unit...from say a 48-50 year model. You might find a complete motor or lower unit, from powerhead down, through the aomci classifieds...crazier things have happened. Acme Outboards has a service manual for 51-54 Sea Kings if you don't have a manual.