1950's Tomahawk

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice
I'm driving to take a look at this boat in a week or so...the seller wants 325 the 35 hp evinrude lark runs. I know its missing its windshield and seats. It looks like a very neat boat worth saving. But is 325 a good price (provided there are no cracks in the hull)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have more pictures of this boat if needed. This one shows off more of the boat than the other ones.

Attachments

• tomahawk.jpg
    tomahawk.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1950's Tomahawk

The seller answered a few of my questions in an email. This is what they had to say...again what do you guys think?

As for cracks none that I have seen. I believe the electric starter works and was told that it does. I have only used the pull start. I know that the front light needs to be re wired and probably needs a new bulb the steering works well and all the cables are in good shape the throttle needs a new screw and to have one cable re attached. As for the trailer it needs a new bulb in the running lights. It has good tires and is definitely road worthy its a bit rusty but its just surface rust. The ratchet works grate and is in very good shape. It takes a generic ball hitch. I have 2 keys for the boat and it comes with the gas can and lines as well as the trailer like I said I don't know past that much anything about it.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

$325 bucks,,,,money well spent for a vintage project boat,,,,where is it?
I will buy today

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Very cool looking vintage boat! It appears that $325 is a good price.

Will it meet your needs? Cruising, fishing etc? Is it big enough?

If it does all the wiring and other items are really part of normal maintenance for most of us.

Good luck

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Cool boat! Look it over very carefully. $325 will be just the tip of the iceberg. Heck, around here, the trailer alone might fetch that much....

<<)))(((>>

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

I will be driving to take a look at this within the next week or so...provided the hull has no cracks and the outboard is in good condition, I'm bringing it home! As for its size, its perfect. It will have no more than 3 people in it at a time...and if i'm just going fishing it will probably be just me. Should be a neat little boat! I've found pictures of this boat restored online...It's missing the windshield and seats...there is probably no chance of me finding such things...correct?

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Do you think a cop would give me a ticket for a bad trailer light after I just bought it? It's going to be dark out when I'm dragging it home. Unless I'm lucky and it is just the bulb.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

What would you guys suggest I do about the seats? Those front two molded seats kind of have me stuck.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

Cool boat!

A good upholsterer can make something for those seats.
The windshield might be harder and you'll have to get creative..find another boat that has one! It doesn't have to be from a Tomahawk, just the same size.

As for the boat, walk around inside and see if you step in some 'soft spots'.

Never heard of a 'generic ball hitch'.
I remember some old thing that was adjustable!

As for lights, you could buy a set of lights, wire them up and mount them on a 2x4 and tie it over the transom...been there done that!