1947 martin won"t run good

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
HI, here is my problem, I have a 47 martin, 60 and it will start and run maybe 10 seconds and then it pops back through the carb once or twice and quits. if I choke it it will restart, I took the carb apart and cleaned it, still the same, took the carb apart again and cleaned it better, it acts like its to lean. I get good spark on both clys. anybody have any other ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1947 martin won"t run good

Sure seems like a fuel supply problem.Probably gas gets through but not enoiugh to maintain supply.Check the supply from the tank to carb.
Most motors have a filter inside the tank be sure lines are clear to carb,shut off opening correctly.Also be sure the vent is clear and open.

sdpuff62168

Cadet

i put a clear in line filter on mine so i could see it was getting fuel. that might also help ya:)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Is it popping back through the carb or sneezing? Sneezing indicates too lean a mixture, richen the mixture with the high-speed needle. Might also need to check the low-speed setting since it is doing this at idle. Russ Larson at martinoutboards.com can tell you the base-line settings for both.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yep, not getting enough fuel for one or more of the mentioned reasons. When a Martin sneezes you really notice it because they don't have reeds to stop the blowback. Be careful, many a Martin has caught fire because of the usually leaky gas cap design combined with arcing spark plug boots and/or carb backfire. Always carry a fire extinguisher or be prepared to abandon ship. Naw, that doesn't work either...my neighbor was quite a spectacle when he jumped overboard and the gas floating on the water was on fire too.

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I"ll try it again now that it"s very clean, thanks for responces.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been working on a 46 Champion 1J and found the fuel outlet from the tank realy gommed up as well as the copper line to the carb. Had to run a stiff wire through the line with carb cleaner. Back and forth a lot to get the crud out. The advice above sounds like a possibility. I saw a guy throw a Martin in a lake years ago. Seems he couldn't grt it started. WHAT A SHAME!

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class

while putting the carb back together I seemed to have lost the link between the choke knob and the choke lever, I dont remember what it looked like. if anyone has one could you tell me how long it is, I can try to make one, or maybe I can find one, thanks.

catsailor07

Recruit

Good discussion on sneezes, helped me. As far as the linkage it is a twisted wire cable on mine which I think is a 48.

John