1900ESX Prop Cavitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harringtondav

Commander
This new boat was delivered with a 14.3x21 alum prop. Awesome hole shot and acceleration, but the engine tached at the 5800 rpm red line as well as having relatively high rpms for the speed. ...don't know if the 5800 rpm was from the rev limiter or actual engine load.

I always carry a spare prop, so I got a Solas alum 14.2x23. I tried it out last night with a hole shot. The boat appeared to cavitate for several seconds before I felt the prop grab. I'll take it out today and verify that I'm fully trimmed in, etc.

I'm surprised the prop cavitated. I expected a bit longer time to plane (vs the 3-4 seconds with the 21P), but didn't expect the prop to break loose. I'll mark the prop and check for hub slip, but with a new prop and no impacts, I'll be surprised to find this.

The Regal "Fas Trac' hull introduces air bubbles to the aft half of the hull. ....I'm wondering if these bubbles may be aggravating the prop cavitation?

PrplGld

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Regal "Fas Trac' hull introduces air bubbles to the aft half of the hull. ....I'm wondering if these bubbles may be aggravating the prop cavitation?
A video on their website basically demonstrates that bubbles inducted from the hull don't interfere with the prop (see screenshot below).

My only problem is it basically eliminates use of a transducer while underway. And I'm in lots of shallow water in south Louisiana, I'd like to monitor gradual changes in depth. But I like the hull so I cope...

https://www.regalboats.com/gallery/2750/attachment/screen-shot-2013-01-09-at-8-33-40-am/
1691595658796.png

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I always carry a spare prop, so I got a Solas alum 14.2x23. I tried it out last night with a hole shot. The boat appeared to cavitate for several seconds before I felt the prop grab. I'll take it out today and verify that I'm fully trimmed in, etc.
Is it cavitation or slip/flex?
Have an old 14 x 19 aluminum prop with little, if any cup left that does the same thing. No problem over-powering it coming out of the hole

Take it off and put the 15 x 15 Stainless prop back on and the problem goes away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.