19 ft Starcraft Islander - aluminum w/110 evenrude

shepja

Cadet
Moving to Bellingham, WA, any thoughts on how my boat will do in the Puget Sound area? Is it big enough?

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 19 ft Starcraft Islander - aluminum w/110 evenrude

I read a post on one of these boards a few months ago where someone was mentioning having their 22 foot Islander out in 8 foot waves in that NW area. But, they also mentioned some friends who would take their 19 foot Islander out into 10 foot seas.<br /><br />I remembered that post so that I wouldn't panic next time mine encounters 5 foot seas.

3boyzz

Cadet

I have a 191 Islander with the 3.0 I/O and have taken it to the San Juan Islands for a week at a time. It works great. The only real problem is that the bow is so light, you really have to trim it to keep it from porpising in the rough stuff. You should have a great time with it!!

Jshep

Cadet

I am looking forward to taking it out in the Sound. From paperwork I found on the boat the original owner had it in the Sound. Any great short trips from Bellingham?

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I remember that post, he also said that larger waves needed to have sufficient duration or sweep time, otherwise a 10 foot hill becomes a 10 foot hammer that your boat cant climb, and instead gets clubbed backwards - holy water hammer batman, guess its time to go to the big belfry in the sky!<br /><br />sorry I cant be more specific about the times, but if you look at the bouy data out there, there are hight/time comparisons, and qualitative assessments to go along with the quantitative data - swell, average, steep, and very steep ... 10 foot chop doesnt sound like good news!