186 SEi - Good Family Boat?

Sorexcuse

Cadet
Hi Everyone -

I've been working on finishing my current boat, an '89 Spectrum 1900 (aluminum) with a 70 hp Evinrude that goes ~35 mph and is quite stable. Thinking of upgrading to a newer boat and found a Larson that I like. I know little/nothing about fiberglass boats.

Specs - 2000 Larson 186 SEi with 130 Volvo/penta with some crazing in the finish

Uses - Fishing, tubing, skiing on a large 'pond' and Lake Ontario with the family - 3 daughters ages 10, 8, 4. It will stay on a lift at our docks 2 houses from our 'new' camp.

Questions

1. Would this boat be good for us?
2. Should it have the power to 'pop' a skier out of the water?
3. Is it stable enough to fish out of in Lake Ontario and to make it home when the weather gets rough?
4. Any other input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ken

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 186 SEi - Good Family Boat?

Ken, we bought a 180 SEI last year. My family is similar, kids 10,7 and 5. We are beginners and the boat is near perfect for us. Ours has a Volvo Penta 4.3GL.

Hi Everyone -
Specs - 2000 Larson 186 SEi with 130 Volvo/penta with some crazing in the finish
Questions

1. Would this boat be good for us?

Not sure what 130 Volvo means but if it refers to the 6cylinder engine then I believe it would be good.

2. Should it have the power to 'pop' a skier out of the water?

Mine does, I put a Solas 4blade on it and it pulls a 240lb guy right out. If you run with a very full boat you might want to get a second prop. (Costs ~ $100)

3. Is it stable enough to fish out of in Lake Ontario and to make it home when the weather gets rough?

4. Any other input would be appreciated.

If used, check for the obvious dry rot etc.., do a 'sea test' and look for water in the ski locker after you take the boat out of the water. Some people here reported leaking outdrive seals. I had water but it came from a slipped hose fastener.

All in all we're still very happy with ours.

Good luck

Sorexcuse

Cadet

Thanks for the well thought out response. Unfortunately, the engine is an I-4, 3.0L engine that puts out ~130 hp. Your 4.3L V6 should be rated about 175 hp.

Also forgot to mention the one thing that really interested me is it has a fiberglass floor with the optional fiberglass stringers, so it should not rot.

Guess it looks like a test drive is in order.:D

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the well thought out response. Unfortunately, the engine is an I-4, 3.0L engine that puts out ~130 hp. Your 4.3L V6 should be rated about 175 hp.

That must not necessarily be a show stopper. We often take guests and had as many as 4 adults and 6 kids on the boat and pulled a skier. I was thinking about that the other day myself and wondering whether we should have gotten a bigger boat but then I thought that one buys a boat primarily for yours own family and then for your friends :) - It all depends. I have heard many people say that a "4-banger" will do just fine with a crew of 2+3. And it should be at a significant lower price point then. Plus - the gas is cheaper :)

Also forgot to mention the one thing that really interested me is it has a fiberglass floor with the optional fiberglass stringers, so it should not rot.

Hmmm... mine is a 2001 and it does have a wood floor. You will know when you open the ski locker and feel underneath.

Guess it looks like a test drive is in order.:D

Oh year :) - it always is :)

Good luck
Roland

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Larson Started Using VEC construction in 2001 on some models which is fiberglass stringers and floor. Some early 2001's may not have been built this way.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Don't get anything that is less than a 4.3L V-6 engine. That 4 cyl just doesn't have the power if you are into watersports, plus the 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L are more robust engines

marinebucaro

Cadet

As for fishing and tubing this boat would be fine. Being on lake Ontario is another story. The great Lakes can be very tricky, calm one minute and 3-5 foot waves the next. It doesn't sound that bad but those waves will toss you around and can be dangerous with adults let alone children on board. If was me I'd shop around for the V-6 especially if you plan on keeping the boat for awhile.