18' Riviera Tri-Hull Transom and possible deck replacement

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have moved past denial and come to accept that the transom in my trihull needs to be replaced. The deck is still solid, but I know once I cut into it most likely it will be in need of replacement as well. The boat was purchased new in 1985 by my father in law. He gave it to me and my wife in 2001. I repowered it spring 2009. We have used it every summer with the exception of 2007. I was using the boat earlier in the summer and I noticed the transom flexing a bit. I pulled the tow hooks off and noticed rot around the bolt holes. I also noticed some stress cracks in the splash well along the transom. I'm expecting the restore to go slowly, I've got two kids in college and one getting ready to graduate from high school.

I was able to download the engine stand plans and get it built last week. I was able to get it built for right about $56.00. One box of screws $13.00, 4 casters $32.00, One 2x6 $5.41, and 16 1" lag bolts and washers $5.60.

I've never done anytype of glass work, so I'll have lots of stupid questions in the near future.

Some pictures of what I have:

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 18' Riviera Tri-Hull Transom and possible deck replacement

That looks like an air-slot type hull, should take waves & wakes more like a semi/deep-v and be more stable like a tri-hull. Nice!

Great to keep it in the family.

should be lots of help around when you get to the demo

Ask as many questions as you need to. No stupid Q's when trying to repair a boat that you put you & yours in.

tallcanadian

Captain

Great looking tri hull. Cracks in the transom are a bad thing. You will get a lot of help here from a bunch of great members. The work will be worth it. I would love to follow along with your build.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

More pics:

What I think led to the rot was the failure of the caulk around the aluminum trim piece on top of the transom. That let water get up over the transom and into the boat.

I first noticed a small crack in front of the drain at the splash well. Being naive, I thought I could patch it up and not worry. I wasn't even thinking about transom rot.

The others are of when I pulled the tow hooks out and I got what came out of the hole and the stress cracks in the splash well.

Attachments

• IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Splashwell Drain.jpg
    Splashwell Drain.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Transom Cap Caulk Line.jpg
    Transom Cap Caulk Line.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member

All that evidence ^^^ points to a weak transom, but the cracks aren't particularly severe, so that's good.

Although the water & damage appears to be particularly bad at the tow hooks & separated transom trim, I'd bet there's more damage to the transom then that.

The transom more then likely needs to be replaced.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more when all was good...

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 2

tallcanadian

Captain

By the look of your pics, I would say all that was done over time and not from the factory. But that doens't matter. Trust me when I say you really want it rotten now, all of it. It will be so much easier to remove. That last picture of the boat in the water looks very cool. It looks bigger in the water too. It must ride quite decent.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the look of your pics, I would say all that was done over time and not from the factory. But that doens't matter. Trust me when I say you really want it rotten now, all of it. It will be so much easier to remove. That last picture of the boat in the water looks very cool. It looks bigger in the water too. It must ride quite decent.

It's not a bad ride. But, I boat on the Chesapeake Bay/Eastern Bay(Small Bay on the east side of Kent Island, MD empties into Chesapaeake) and if the wind kicks up it will beat you pretty good. When it gets choppy, we get wet...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you decided to decapitae her or cut her at the gunwales?

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was moving in the direction of taking the cap off. From what I've read that seems to be the prevailing technique. I'd be too worried about getting the gunwales back to perfect, which I know I can't do. I'd lose too much sleep over any tiny imperfections on the top side. I think de-capping, would alleviate some of that needless, obsessive-worrying, about having the gunwales factory perfect.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeppir, There IS always THAT!!!! By the time you're done...You'll be a glassin' Pro!!!!:D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

Cutting the deck back on a 20+ yr. old boat is usually like opening Pandora's box and a Catholic exorcism all rolled into one. You'll be very lucky if you don't find rotten stringers and saturated foam to go along with the bad transom... but you never know exactly what you'll find until you open 'er up.

The good thing is your boat will be better than new when you're finished and it will only cost a very small fraction of what a brand new one costs.... and probably considerably less than you paid for your repower.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not much work got done this weekend. I did get the motor winterized, fuel stabilizer in the carbs & seafoam, gas tanks pumped out and removed, and battery pulled out. Here are a few pics, 1st is the bilge pump I was getting ready to install before the rot problem. I mounted it to a piece of star-board and had visions of glassing it in. Second two are of my workspace. I have a 24'X30' garage that I normally store my boat in. Next step is de-rigging.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can I use this to make PB:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can, WAY overkill and expensive but it will work.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can, WAY overkill and expensive but it will work.

I have an almost entire container left over from a very small repair. It's already bought and paid for, so it will be used.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you go take a look, Make SURE and check the transom and deck on her to ensure it is 100% solid and sound. Don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire!!!!:D:eek:

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
All its been a while since I've posted. I have not done much to her since I've last posted. She's been resting quietly in my garage. I did pull all of the seats out recently.

Question for the prevailing experts.. My neighbor suggested I use Coosaboard to fabricate the new transom. It looks very tempting. I know it is expensive, but will positive side is, it will cut down on fabrication time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Don't know that I qualify as an expert but...

I say this all the time, so I guess I'll say it again. A properly fabricated, installed, cared for and maintained wood transom will last 50+ years. I KNOW, I have one!!!!! The haredest part of replacin ANY transom is the demo work, NOT the installation. Once the demo work is done a New Wood transom can be Fabricated and Installed in 2 days. IF you have all the clamps and materials on hand ready to go. We all spend a lot of time doing "Gopher" work.:eek: The other major time killer is waiting for the glue to dry and the resin to tack up between glass layers. Actual "Work" time is not that much. 1st day...Make template then cut out plywood and glue, screw and clamp together. WAIT for Glue to dry. 2nd day. Mix up PB Install and clamp to outer skin, Fillet squeeze out on sides and bottom. Wait 2-3 hours for PB to set up. While waiting, cut 1708 layers and pre measure resin/MEKP for layups. After PB sets up Coat transom with resin and lay first layer of 1708. Wait 1 hour for tack up. Pre mix resin/MEKP for 2 nd layer of 1708. After 1st layer tacks up Install 2nd layer of 1708. DONE!!! If this is all done with NO air bubbles/wrinkles and all holes and fasteners are predrilled and always filled/coatedwith the appropriate marine sealant, you can expect this transom to last 50+ years barring any catastrophic event.

Anyway, that's my story...and I'm stickin to it!!!!:rockon:

Last edited: