18 HP Tohatsu 2004 18B Link rod removal on carburetor

w2much

Lieutenant
I aquired this motor and would like to get it running. I removed the carburetor and found that it was certainly in need of a long soak cleaning. I will check the auto start mechanism as I have read several post on it. For now my issue is how to remove the rubber boot which covers the link rod. Before I drop the carb body into a dip I would like to remove it. I doubt it will stand up to the cleaner but I need to soak the carb body. It appears to be a ball and socket which hold the link rod in place. The link rod needs to be removed to take off the rubber boot. I tried to pry it out but thought better than to apply to much force and break the socket end. I applied some lubricant overnight to help but I figure patience and a post would be the way to go.

w2much

Lieutenant
Just saw your reply Sea Rider. Worked til dark and then some. Its a bit too late to get pictures but if curiousity is killing , the part # is 3R3033120 it is number 1-25, listed within the parts page for the carburetor of this 2004 Tohatsu MFS18B2. The rubber boot is shown along with the link rod in the diagram. The rubber boot is listed as # 1-25 part # 3R3033110

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Just saw your reply Sea Rider. Worked til dark and then some. Its a bit too late to get pictures but if curiousity is killing , the part # is 3R3033120 it is number 1-25, listed within the parts page for the carburetor of this 2004 Tohatsu MFS18B2. The rubber boot is shown along with the link rod in the diagram. The rubber boot is listed as # 1-25 part # 3R3033110
Sorry w2much, Paul should provide an adequate answer for your tech inquiry than me....

Happy Boting

pvanv

Admiral
On the MFS15/18B2 carbs, it takes time and patience to disassemble the pump rod and boot, but I have done it. No special tools or force needed.

w2much

Lieutenant
Thank you both for your replies. I believe the passages were clogged or at least restricted. I did the long soak cleaning, blew it out and sent monofiliment through the passages as much as I could and put it back together. I soaked it in such a way that the boot remained suspended out of the cleaner and hoped that I could still perform a thorough cleaning. It worked so that there was or is no need to remove the pump rod and boot. I have aquired the best tools available to me . Time and patience. Although I did not have to remove the pump rod and hope I dont need to in the future was this done by prying the ball from the socket?

pvanv

Admiral
Yes, the ball at the top of the pump rod needs to disengage.