18 hp merc.

vman1959

Cadet
I have an 18 hp merc outboard that until last night has run fine. last night it would not run more the 1/4 throttle without bogging out. The only way I could get it to run at full throttle was to constantly keep squeezing the bulb in the fuel line. Is there something with my fuel line and tank?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18 hp merc.

sounds like ti's time for a fuel pump kit most likely the check valves are sucked into the fuel pump plate.buy squeezing the bulb you are bypassing these valves.

lots of boats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi.

Could be the fuel pump, and it is a good idea to have the diapham and other replacement parts on hand as spares, and sometimes you need new parts when you take a pump apart because the old ones don't fit back in or don't look good. the motor could be sucking air into a fuel line someplace, but most of the time when you need to keep pumping the fuel by hand this problem is water or dirt in the filter(s). It usually pays to clean things out. You can dump out the fuel tank and see what was in there, Clean the filter at the pump, clean any other filters, loosen the machine screw on the bottom of the carb and let them drain and while they are draining pump fuel by hand with the primer bulb to flush everything. Be careful about fire!

I have had to do this quick fix lots of times, and found that when I have in line fuel filter problems one of the common reasons is that I keep refilling the same tank, or dumping dregs together, and the dirt and water accumulate until the motor gets a good shot.

Hope this helps.

vman1959

Cadet

I have been looking around on the internet for a fuel pump kit but none are listed for an 18 hp mercury. Does anyone know which kit will work as I see many different models have the same kit number?

Laddies

Banned

You will need to buy a sierra carb kit to get the fuel pump parts, thats cheaper than the pump kit from Mercury $47 for just the pump kit