18 hp johnson

jasonbays

Cadet
I have an 18 hp johnson, how do I replace thermostat? I checked the pump and impeller, it is new. Not sure how to check if it's pumping water.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501_191630_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501_191630_Facebook.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Little cover ( 3 screws ) on top of cylinder head.----Those thermostats are often stuck open.----If it tests good why replace it ?----Yest run in a bucket with water 8" above impeller.

jasonbays

Cadet
Little cover ( 3 screws ) on top of cylinder head.----Those thermostats are often stuck open.----If it tests good why replace it ?----Yest run in a bucket with water 8" above impeller.
I don't see any water coming out the exhaust. That's why I am concerned.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Did you verify that the Pin/Key that links the Impeller to the Driveshaft was in place?
Also the Grommet for the watertube in the pump housing needs to be there

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I have an 18 hp johnson, how do I replace thermostat? I checked the pump and impeller, it is new. Not sure how to check if it's pumping water.
It should pump water whether the thermostat is defective or not. Water will spray out the blowhole about halfway down the backside.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the copper tube was stuck in the pump housing you have to remove it.----First install the copper tube into the exhaust housing.----Then install the lower unit.

tphoyt

Ensign
What do you mean by you checked the pump and impeller?
Did you remove the impeller? Did the fins straighten out somewhat or did they stay curled around? It can look new and fine but it should be soft and flexible to work properly.
Just a thought.

jasonbays

Cadet
What do you mean by you checked the pump and impeller?
Did you remove the impeller? Did the fins straighten out somewhat or did they stay curled around? It can look new and fine but it should be soft and flexible to work properly.
Just a thought.
I took the impeller apart and waterpump. It was flexible like new. Slapped it back together and still no water out the exhaust

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Where are you running this thing? On a bout on the lake, or in a bucket, or on muffs, or where?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There must be an internal blockage.----Should not be hard to figure out.-----These are wonderfully simple motors