FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Can anybody tell me anything I should know before I attempt to reseal my lower on my 18 hp 1973 rude. Is it a simple teardown and reseal, or is there more involved.
That's what I'd do and cross any bridges when i came to them.
Be sure you know where to disconnect the lower shift rod from the upper. Be sure you know where to obtain the seals, including the "spaghetti" seal between the top and bottom halves of the gear case and any O rings you disturb. Don't overlook the washers on the drain and level plugs.
Change the pump impeller while you can!
Pulling the driveshaft from the crankshaft may well be difficult.
Thanks for the info, I was just making sure no springs or other stuff is gonna go flyin when I crack it open. I am lookin for a repair manual, any suggestions? I heard go with oem manuals only, Is that true?
Oem manuals are always better as you'll get one that specifically covers your engine or at least yours and one or two others that are more or less the same.
You'll find exploded diagrams and parts lists HERE or HERE
They can be useful but no substitute for a manual.
(what manual did I buy? ..... None but I'm the sort of person who takes things apart to find out how they work)