18 foot bayliner capri cuddy in the ocean?

xxoczukxx

Cadet
Might want to start over and give us some info. Okay, we got it that you're in the Cape Cod area and have a lot of open water to boat in. Sooo... what is it you want to do with the boat? How many will typically be aboard? What are their ages?

I agree with the others that the boat you're looking at is not suited to the water you're in (or want to be in). There are much better choices available. You need to build a "what I want to do with it" wish list and prioritize it. Every boat is a compromise, so you need to determine what characteristics are most important to you. We actually can help you choose types of boats that'll fit the bill. IMO, the Bayliner is a non-starter.

My .02

fishing mostly, with 3 to 4 people on board usually. i was leaning towards a wellcraft v20 but i saw the bayliner and thought id ask. all mid 20's

tpenfield

Staff member
i plan to boat a lot on lakes before touching the ocean. what about buzzards bay does that? rough water?

Prevailing winds that increase throughout the day, typically give you rough (choppy) conditions during the afternoon. There is a lot (50 miles) of fetch coming from Long Island sound, so the afternoon conditions can get pretty nasty.

You don't really see much under 20 foot for boats out there.

xxoczukxx

Cadet
Prevailing winds that increase throughout the day, typically give you rough (choppy) conditions during the afternoon. There is a lot (50 miles) of fetch coming from Long Island sound, so the afternoon conditions can get pretty nasty.

You don't really see much under 20 foot for boats out there.

gotcha, thank you!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
That Wellcraft V-20 would be a good choice. Just make sure it's in good shape- they're getting old. There are a variety of center console, walk-around cuddy and dual console boats that would be seaworthy enough for what you have in mind. They all have hull designs that are made for rough water use (within reason). Can't skimp too much on size, however. 18' is marginal. My first boat was a 21' Pro Line walk around cuddy that I used in some fairly snotty conditions. I never felt unsafe in that boat.

My .02

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From what I've seen salvaging a few Bayliners, I'm now scared to get in one while it's still on the trailer...

high&dry

Seaman
Really, the answer is no. Bayliner is pretty low on the totem pole of quality and at that age, plus being a stern drive, no. They make fine, entry level lake boats, never intended for saltwater use of any kind.