18' cuddy windshield

grantcool

Cadet
I just got a 1962 18' Starchief cuddy that is missing the flybridge windshield. Original was curved plexiglass with a frame.
Any tips, leads, or ideas?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' cuddy windshield

Boat windshields are often THE most difficult item to replace. However you may be in luck. I'm pretty sure yours mounts to the top of a basically flat surface. So you should be able to adapt just about any similarly sized windshield to fit. Check out what I was able to do for my Jupiter.

I went from this:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/09.jpg

To this:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/boat2.jpg

I got the 3 piece windshield off ebay. It was just your standard bowrider walk-through.

Also are you aware that you've stumbled upon probably the largest collection of Starcraft enthusiasts on the internet? We'd love for you to start a new thread with some pics of your boat. Welcome to iboats.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

We really need to start making these windows/windshields out of Lexan. I have never done it, but I don't think it's that hard. I bet if we put our heads together we could do it.

Lexan is great stuff. Polycarbonate, scratch resistant and easy to cut. I hear it forms good with some heat. I cut some up with my jig saw yesterday, replaced some glass in a porch light. I was all straight so I didn't have to bend though.

We just need a Guinea Pig.

bananaboater

Ensign

We really need to start making these windows/windshields out of Lexan. I have never done it, but I don't think it's that hard. I bet if we put our heads together we could do it.

Lexan is great stuff. Polycarbonate, scratch resistant and easy to cut. I hear it forms good with some heat. I cut some up with my jig saw yesterday, replaced some glass in a porch light. I was all straight so I didn't have to bend though.

We just need a Guinea Pig.

Years ago I did some vacuum forming using UVEX polycarbonate. I was looking close the other day at my Jet windshield and discovered it is basically bubble shaped. Not just a flat plane of bent plastic like I thought. To replicate it would take a smooth form and a vacuum table big enough to take a 6 foot long piece. Not something easy to come by.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

My boat has the straight windshields. A couple of 90 degree bends is all. No convex, convoluted, bubbles for sure. If I needed to I would give it a go on something like yours. I might or might not get it but I would try.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for people you have done this (I've seen it done on the internet). The first one would be a b#$%^, but after that I think it wouldn't be too bad.

fshngho

Lieutenant

I may be able to help with the "how to" or "why" questions concerning lexan, plexiglass. laminated glass. or tempered glass. As well as aluminum extrusions to make a windshield. Did you know the metal in a windshield is very similiar to that of a framed shower encloser? I have been it the glass business for 32 yrs. What I don't know I can find out. By the way, I have just come across a supplier that makes metal panels for storefronts. What they don't know, and I do, is these panels would be perfect for a pernament non rusting/rotting/floor or transom for a boat. Still doing research. Dale

grantcool

Cadet

If i could find an old factory cross-reference for these boats i'll bet Starcraft used the same size windshield on several models and for several years.
Anyone know if such a list still exists anywhere?