18' Bluefin Aluminum Transom Repair

The old wood is out and I have found a new problem. The aluminum had salt trapped between the transom wood and the inner and outer skins causing major corrosion and pitting. :^ I will replace the inner aluminum skin, but the outer skin needs to stay because I feel replacing it will be cost prohibitive.:|
I would like to repair it by filling in the pits, repainting, and adding a over sized aluminum outer transom plate.
What should I do to stop any further corrosion and repair what is left of a mostly usable transom outer skin?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Angelo7/Bluefin Project/EngineWellTransomWood2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Angelo7/Bluefin Project/TramsomCorrosion1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Angelo7/Bluefin Project/TramsomCorrosion3.jpg

Let me know what you think....please

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 18' Bluefin Aluminum Transom Repair

It has to be cleaned to bare aluminum (completely) treated and I would coat it. Adding an additional plate is a good idea and I would seal between the plates with an epoxy. Devcon makes an epoxy for aluminum but gluvit will work fine in a cleaned surface.

I would use Gluvit to coat and between the pieces.

On a side note..... get a price to have a new thick piece welded in.

Once you are ready to mount the new wood I would also suggest using more gluvit or even gease (maybe a light coat of 3m 4200 but that would be exspensive too).

Any bolts or fasteners that pass through the wood and aluminum NEED to be stainless AND coated befor insterion with grease or 3m 4200.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, deja vu! Yours looks a lot nicer than mine did though.
http://www.boatbuildingonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487
As you can see I solved it by putting a 3/16" sheet of aluminium on either side and bolting them together with some autobody sealer squished in between the layers. I also took this opportunity to change my boat over to long shaft.
Eric

Oh my...Nice job on your transom. How did you make the swirl pattern on the back? A sanding wheel maybe...I like it.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks.
I used a random orbit sander for the swirls. Aroliner boats originally had that finish on the entire exterior, but they've worn off on mine. This spring I plan to redo them with the sander and put a couple layers of clear coat over everything to keep them from corroding.
Eric

Bob,
Great advise...I will be using Gluvit as suggested. The new plywood will be coated with several coats of epoxy (MAS or West Systems) before dropping it in. Does Gluvit bond to epoxy? Both will be cured before coming in contact, but then these two materials will be pressed together for a long time.
After the new aluminum inner skin and the prepared plywood are in… how would I best seal the top before the new cap is put on? Epoxy? Maybe more Gluvit?

Trying to think ahead…

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

suggest making a pattern after getting the transom in. take it to a tin bender, you'll never find a matching piece. probably the most expensive part of the repair.

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cpt,

Go to a metal shop, or even a trade school (weld shop) and see if they will tig on new metal over the whole transom. The trade school might do it for the price of the metal and cheap labor from the kids, and don't worry the teach should check the welds that the kids did.

Bondo

Staff member

Does Gluvit bond to epoxy?

Ayuh,..........

Gluvit IS Epoxy,....... with powered Aluminum filler......

The new transom wood and inner aluminum skin are installed. It's rock solid now.
Question...where can I buy new transom trim?
NewTransomandtrimpcs3.jpg

I coated the entire hull with Gluvit (epoxy).
NewTransom1edit.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the trade school sounds like the best idea. then start calling metal shops. it's going to take someone who know what the are doing to make those bends.

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good Cpt.!! keep it up, it will be fishing time soon. That boat would be a really good cape cod bay boat up here.