18' Bluefin Aluminum Rebuild Restoration

Hello all,
I have begun a journey that is sure to have a few ups and downs and I will be needing some advise form all of you experts out there along the way. 8)
The project begins with a good deal on a 1983 Bluefin aluminum bow rider. To me this boat looks like a copy of a Starcraft aluminum boat.
Bowview1.jpg

Interiorview1.jpg

Sternview1.jpg

This boat is just right for inside salt water and right at home in most of our NW lakes, so I think the project will be worthwhile.

The first job was replacing the very low and rotten seats with pedistal seats...much better.

Pedistalseatsview1-1.jpg

This was just to get me through the end of the salmon season before starting the full restoration.

Now for a view of some of the trouble spots. The deck is so rotton plywood pieces clogs the bilg pump screen. I know this because the pump runs often due to leaky rivets. I will be using Gluvit to correct that issue.
Sternview1-1.jpg

i have reomved the consols, decking, and gun walls but the weather has been so bad this month (15 inches of rain this month alone and now it's 18 digrees) BURRRR! I have not taken any more pictures, but I will this weekend.
Consolesremoved1.jpg

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18' Bluefin Aluminum Rebuild Restoration

Nice find! That's exactly what I was looking for when I settled for my current covered bow aluminium. Looks like a fun project. That's a beautiful Merc on there too!
Welcome to the forum as well! :D
Eric

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

send me an email will send you my complete set of pics. mine was a center console, now much better. same problem with rivets.

tashasdaddy@comcast.net

thebeginning.jpg

ripped everything out and started over

bow.jpg

now has a johnson 88 special. runs 45 mph

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is what my 22' Starcraft Mariner looks like. Pretty much the same thing. When you put the floor in counter sink the rivets and also put SS screws next to the rivets in the supports and it will never move. I also found marine flooring at defender.com for $14 a running yard the cheapest around for Natalex flooring same stuff starcraft uses.

21'%20starcraft.gif

linesix

Cadet

If you are going to replace the floor and you know the rivits are leaking, why not tighten them up while the floor is out?

Woody,
Super job on your Starcraft...hope mine comes out that nice. I have the same transom wood issue as you did. The motor is coming off this weekend and then the transom repairs will start.

Linesix,
This is my first time working with rivets...I'm a late bloomer when it comes to rivets. What is the best way to tighten closed end rivets? Brace and hammer?

Tashasdaddy,
Looking forward to more pics…

The floor is out now. I will have more pictures over the weekend.

Thanks guys

linesix

Cadet

The best way to tighten them is the same way they were originally installed, that's with an airhammer (muffler gun) and a #6 rivit tip. The inside needs to be "backed up" by a steel bar.

Air hammers are available for about $30.00 from Sears, tips are available from any major industrial tool or fastener supplier.

At 100 psi, a very quick shot will tighten the rivet. If the rivet is corroded or alfready overmushroomed, drill it out and install a new one. Be sure you get the rivets from the boat manufacturer otherwise the alloy may not be the same and corrosion os probable.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Have fun with that restore.......After looking all over the net found out we have a good local supplier right here in the northwest http://www.perfectfit.com/contact.asp

Great selection very good pricing if your in town stop in there quite large. shipping cheap lol

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

How is the Merc? Run good?

For being 25 years old the 80hp 4 cylender runs good. Gets me to about 39 mph.
First I had to correct a few issues the prevous owner had let go, like a carb adjustment, new sparkplugs and wires, and a few coroded electrical connections.

tashasdaddy

thats about right on the 80hp. i get 42 t0 45 with the 88spl Johnny, when trimmed out. mine wants to plow if trimed all the way down.

The engine is off and the transom rot has been exposed. I will be removing the engin well next so the inner skin can be removed. Here are a few pictures.

Engineoff1.jpg

TransomRot2.jpg

tashasdaddy

are those backing plates on the transom mount. ugly transom.

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cpt, sorry wish that was what my holiday turn out to be, but the boat on my project page is still in that state, just striped and ready for paint, flooring and the fake storage sides. I haven't taken pictures to update the page. I was given the 21' marine from my father in law because I was the only one with a truck to move it and the floor was gone by the ants. So now I have two boats. I will take some pictures on the mariner today and try to get them up here so you can see what I did.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Looks to be a good project, exactly the kind of hull I am looking for. My 125 horse would run just fine on that hull. If you grow disgusted, I'll take her off your hands.... :)

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cpt, hows goes the battle? Sorry I haven't posted pictures of my boat. It is asleep under covers and I've been in Orlando with the family.

Project update....
I have started a new topic for the transom repair....
EngineWellTransomWood2.jpg

Transomprep1.jpg

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=26;gtid=1224439

I will try to get the transom mostly back together over this long weekend. The new wood is cut along with new aluminum for the inner skin.
I do need some help finding aluminum trim for the top cap on the new transom. The old stuff was so bad it broke apart when I took it off. Any ideas where to buy this trim?