18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

Nice offshore Bwana:joyous:

It will be when I'm done. White with a small black stripe. Old Skool Hemi stripe maybe???

The Sea Scamp was white gloss too. I liked it a lot. White is a classic color. It dresses up with wood and aluminum, couple of warm wood tones and brushed aluminum or stainless, POP. Looks good. Looks plain and boring UNTIL, you mix a few other colors in with it, then Shazam, fishizzle. It all comes together.

Every piece you add, you add pride to your boat. Like a puzzle it comes together slowly and then, it's yours. I've seen a bunch of boats get transformed before my internet eyes into works of Starcarft art. Artcarft.

Good luck
Don

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

notMyBoat.jpgMy boat has a small hole drilled in this support member where the red arrow points. (not my boat pictured)

This was not done by the factory right? I would guess maybe it leaked from above and someone drilled a hole to get the water out, but why up front, it would not drain when the boat is tilted back on the trailer...

jbcurt00

Staff member

It should have more then 1 of those factory weep holes drilled in those chines.....

It's a seperate piece from the hull. The holes let water out to prevent freeze, expansion, damage.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks ill check again, my father was at the other end of the boat and said he did not see one at the time.

A weep hole makes sense, but only one in the front did not seem useful to me

jbcurt00

Staff member

At rest on the trailer, if there's only 1 hole, maybe it's the low point? Drains from both ends...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think I remember one of my boats (hmmm, maybe all of em??) had that hole up bow side too. Like JB mentioned, that's for drainage. I actually drilled small holes at the stern side too cuz it didn't make a lot of sense to me either.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a drain hole in the keel too. I can't remember exactly if it's at the bow or stern end. Been too long since I hunkered down under the boat contemplating the Mysteries of Starcraft. :)

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Whats the best caulk to use on aluminum boats? Specifically, putting a bolt or rivet through the hull?

I come across people using 3m 5200 but the instructions do not say its compatible with metal.
3m 4000 UV fast cure says its ok with metal, but is not as strong as the 5200.

should any permanent rivets be epoxied in?

Here's a 3M caulk chart
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/howtos/sealantchart.pdf

GA_Boater

CT - Sure are gonna be a lot of tinnies going down if 5200 isn't compatible with AL. Your link doesn't say that. And 3M neither. And all the 5200 info states for metal. :confused:

The epoxy to use on rivets is Gluvit or Coat-it after the rivets are set. Seals seams well also. It's best to use either one inside the hull.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Not that it's incompatible, but looking at the info you can see why one might question 4000 vs 5200 usage on metal.
I think i'll still go with the 5200 though if it's stronger.

3M 5200 / High strength
Watertight bonding/sealing of fiberglass,
gelcoat and wood. Ideal for through-hull
fastening, deck fittings, railings and
transducers. Best when no removal
is anticipated

3M Fast cure 4000 UV / Medium strength
Bonds and seals metal, gelcoat, fiberglass,
wood and plastic. Ideal for deck hardware,
hatches, portholes, transducers, railings
and navigation lights. Great for visible
bond lines.

Also on page 2 (the chart with the dots), wherever metal is listed, the 4000 UV is rated better than the 5200

GA_Boater

Basically 5200 is for below water line and 4200 is above water line. And 5200 is permanent and doesn't like to be removed, where 4200 is easier to remove. I can't recall anyone using the 4000 UV.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

I'll have some progress photos soon.
Does anyone ever use the side wall cavity for anything on starcrafts or just flotation foam?

barato2

Commander

sure. fishing rod and gaff storage, back clearance for stereo speakers, etc.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Is your side panel a solid piece or do you partial access or a door or anything?

barato2

Commander

the holiday is going back together with solid panels with as much foam as possible behind em. the Starchief has this nifty little tip-out gear bin that isn't held solidly in place but is held closed by gravity....the stocker is pretty small but it seems like a great idea for expansion. best i can suggest is to surf the "done" pics of people's restos and look further into any that show sort of what you're looking to do.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

thanks, this is my first starcraft and it was so beat when I got it its hard to see whats normal in some cases.

I think ill keep it mostly solid for strength + foam, and a small storage hatch for gear sounds good

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again for all the help on this website, I figure I owe you all some progress photos:)

I had mentioned the transom had some corrosion all the way through, I ended up using marine tex puddy with some fiberglass tape for strength. After prime/paint, it will be fine. It is not corroded anywhere structural.

Rustoleum self etching on the bare spots, rustoleum marine metal primer and paint. I used top coat for everything, I had read you dont necessarily need bottom paint if its trailed, time will tell if this is ok... (bottom is done, the sides only have one coat, finish coat will go on later).

I ran a string through the drain holes, you can floss it back and forth from the bow and transom. No water getting stuck in this boat! Ill probably pull a some high test braided fishing line in there and replace it every year or so.

The epoxy is composites 4:1

Used gluvit on the inside rivets/seams

starcraftp7_zpsa7d62a85.jpg

starcraftp6_zpsb704580a.jpg

starcraftp5_zpsb4cb7932.jpg

starcraftp3_zps4a2e3d93.jpg

starcraftp2_zps80d9c289.jpg

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

the foam is fit in rather snug but I did not do anything to lock it in, I was going to spray some expanding foam right before laying the deck in, but I did not. Its fine to walk on, hopefully its not to rattly driving around. no going back now

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Textbook work right there. Nice job.