175hp cylinder walls and absurd compression results

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
and it may run....Deo Volente. Recommend reading or rereading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -- probably a sermon or two in there, with illustrations from your outboard experience :).

Well, I got the new head gaskets on.

I borrowed a SnapOn compression tester from my Ford mechanic friend. I finally got a stable, trustworthy compression reading.

the first two cylinders both measured 50 psi. That was with a cold engine, but I don’t think it warning it up will bring it up to spec from that far down.

Looks like ol girl needs a rebuild.

This was a project motor for a project boat. I have two other project motors, so on to my next victim!

it’s a 1998 150, (J150EXECD), which had compression problems (ironically). I did not want to bother with it, because it has plastic carburetor bowls that are leaking (warped) and I was afraid of the fancy electronic ignition condition system. But it’s worth a second look.

I will one day get this powerhead off the 1982 I have been working on, and send the block out for a machine shop to look at it. But for now it will sit in the backyard while I work on the other motors.

I’ll start a separate thread on the 1998. I’m new to Johnson/Evinrudes so I know I’ll have questions. Thanks for the help. I learned a lot, even though it didn’t turn out to be repairable for now.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Didn't you have a Chrysler or Force that might have some promise? If you go that route, wouldn't mind a heads-up here, and will find you on the other forum. It's been a long time since I tinkered with a big Chrysler, and would like to follow along -- even if your Force is more Merc than Chrysler.

Thanks.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Didn't you have a Chrysler or Force that might have some promise? If you go that route, wouldn't mind a heads-up here, and will find you on the other forum. It's been a long time since I tinkered with a big Chrysler, and would like to follow along -- even if your Force is more Merc than Chrysler.

Thanks.

You got a good memory! Yes, I have a Force 150 in the garage. I have the power head on the midsection, but no lower unit on it. I have the lower unit, but it needs a carrier bearing (which I have in ANOTHER Force lower unit—-Lord, I’m a hoarder!)

Boat came with an Evinrude 150 looper. Switching to the Force is a little tricky. I have controls and cables for the Force, but I’m not sure about the steering— the boat has hydraulic steering and I think I’d need some kind of adapter to connect to the Force.

The Evinrude is the engine that came with the boat, so I know the steering will work.

i just hate those plastic carb bowls.

I will one day complete that Force 150. I hear they were pretty good motors....impressive power/weight ratios. And all-metal carbs that are easy to get to!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yup. Future projects. Thanks for the comeback -- will be on the lookout.