175 RUDE.... Smoke like a freight train

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 175 RUDE.... Smoke like a freight train

Couple of things for you to do.

First, start with the absolute basics, get your hands on a compression testor and test the compression yourself, write them down, preferrably after you warm the engine up, but cold readings are better than none.

Second, search this site for Joe Reeves directions on building your own homemade spark tester. Spark MUST BE checked at a 7/16 inch gap, and be a crisp hot blue arc or it will fail to fire a cylinder under load out on the water.

Third, pull the vacuum hose off the engine take makes the fuel pump work, if there is even the slightest hole in the fuel pump diaphram then gas will lflood that cylinder causing excessive smoke, and will wash out the rings on that cyl, causing the compression to progressively die.

Check these things and repost your findings.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"it is wet with gas.... if im standing behind the boat at the back and looking at the motor it is the plug on the top right plug"

Facing from the rear of the engine, OMC cylinders are numbered in the order in which they attach to the crankshaft, starting at the top. On the V engines, that makes the top right #1, top left number 2, and so on.

XRFjlong

Cadet

the compression is as follows

i cant find the spark plug tester but i did hold the spark plug against the block and it fired just as good as the others.... now where do i need to take the vaccum hose off??? of the motor or the fuel pump

XRFjlong

Cadet

ok also there is alot of mixed gas coming dripping into the air intake area it has quite a bit puddleing up in it

XRFjlong

Cadet

ok one more thing.... dang i just keep finding things wrong LOL

ok first i have found the OIL pump is pump is clicking about once every second at idle......

2nd when i pump the bulb it get hard and sprays alot of gas out into the air box port for cylinder number 2 that would be top left from behind the motor

is one of these two causeing the smoke and is it possbile one of these two is causeing number 5 compression to be low at 85 psi