175 Evinrude Locking up

bucmac79

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 175 Evinrude Locking up

I started to pull some parts and saw that there is definitely alot of carbon buildup. I went and got some seafoam and started the decarb process that I have found in this forum. Are there any other things that I should do after decarbing?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You should service the water passage deflectors and also check the recirculation check valves.

Sometimes, the problems that you are having are caused by being over-propped; you should be able to reach close to 5,800 RPM with a normal load at WOT. If the prop has too high a pitch, you won't be able to get near that and you will lug the engine, causing it to buiild up carbon and possibly make the rings catch.

jonesg

Admiral

Have you tested the temp sensor by grounding it against the block?

I sprayed seafoam directly into ea cylinder and let it soak a while, it will only dissolve carbon , and ran some through with fuel.
Now I add startron to each tank to keep it at bay, compression came up every time I ran the engine last yr, mechanic told me it would do that.

bucmac79

Seaman Apprentice

The warning horns have been removed from the motor. Temp sensor was disconected. I did the seafoam treatment. Poured it in the cylinders and let it sit for about 5 hrs. Then I ran the motor for a while. It smoked like crazy. I sprayed the aerosol seafoam in as I ran it. It seems to idle really smooth now. I really don't know if its fixed though and don't want to trash the motor testing it out. The tell tale still doesn't seem to spray like I think it should. It sprays out a steady stream. Just seems like it's not as hard as my old 115 johnson. Any suggestions on precautions I should take before water testing it?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully good news regarding your carbon removal process, and esp that you show no signs of water intrusion. Doing the decarb a second time won't hurt, either. Check the telltale nozzle on the lower cowling. Any debris in the system can accumulate there, affecting the telltale flow. Blow some compressed air back up the nozzle when the engine is running and it should go out the lower unit. The impeller will normally pump 6 lbs at idle. Sounds like you are investigating a temp gauge-good idea. You've got a high performance engine there and I'd also recommend a 30 lb water pressure gauge-it will give you a lot of reassurance.

jonesg

Admiral

The warning horns have been removed from the motor. Temp sensor was disconected.

hehehe, yah who needs them stinkin horns anyway. :eek:

So there must have been some shorts in the system and the darn buzzer wouldn't shut up. I'm sure you can get a generic 3 wire buzzer from sierra or the like.

There was a guy on here 3 weeks ago who blew his engine up because the horns were out of order, fried it real good, oil pump quit, no alarm.

I just spent 3 hrs going over my wiring with a long test lead, finally tracked it down.
Now all my new guages light up like the christmas tree.
STick with it.

bucmac79

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, I was real happy to find out no horns. After getting into some of the wiring too I realize that the guy I bought it from was a real wiz at backyard mechanics :) (yeah right) Hopefully I can get it all straightened out. Thanks for the help. I do plan on putting some warning horns back on too.

bucmac79

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry this post is getting so long. I just don't want to tear up my motor. I did another decarb earlier today and thought of taking it out for a water test, but was scared it would do the same thing again and blow up. So I pulled the starboard head. The cylinders look good and fairly clean now. But under each cylinder is a piece of rubber hose and each one is almost collapsed or pinched shut. Is this normal? What else should I service while the heads are off?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The pieces of hose are water passage deflectors; there are three required on each cylindert bank. It is important that they are correctly placed and that they do not intrude into the adjacent water passage, partially blocking it. They really should be replaced periodically.

bucmac79

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I thought that is what they were from reading other posts. Just want to make sure that I do everything right while I have the heads off.