17' and up Deep V restos....Transom and re-powering disussion.

Landof9000lakes

Seaman Apprentice
Many if not most boats built today that are 17' and longer are built with a 25" transom.

Has anyone considered converting their 20" transom boat to a 25" transom boat? I am considering it and am likely going to do something "close" to 25"(more on that in a minute).

Two reasons for a 25" transom that I can think of:
1. The taller transom should be safer on a boat used on large bodies of water. Less susceptibility to swamping than a 20" transom boat seems obvious.
2. A 25" transom would allow the addition of larger/heavier outboards that are currently produced today. This may mean that additional bracing on the inside of the boat.....However it is a fact that new outboards are much heavier than older outboards.
A 75hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS weighs about 375lbs according to merc. A 75hp OMC is about 120lbs less than that based on info I found searching here.

Would anyone consider upgrading/re-powering one of the restored boats in this section with a new engine? You would lose money in re-sale but if that wasn't a concern you would have a reliable, clean, easy starting boat for MUCH cheaper than buying new. And best I can tell the only thing you are giving up is some beam width.

Landof9000lakes

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 17' and up Deep V restos....Transom and re-powering disussion.

One other question....
My current boat has a 75HP Evinrude on it. I would like to convert the transom from 20" to 25" when doing the rebuild. However it will be a few years out before I re-power.

So I thought if I converted the boat to a 23" transom when rebuilding I could lower the current motor enough and then buy a 25" motor and lower it enough. I wonder if enough adjustment will be available in boat engines?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't do it due to the higher center of gravity it would cause. If you're going to be in big rough water this could cause more problems than a 20" transom.

I don't know if you plan to overpower your boat, but I wouldn't do that either. Stay within your capacity on the USCG plate.

20" transoms and motors are very common on deep V's and I don't see any reason to change the way your boat was designed.

Bondo

Staff member

Many if not most boats built today that are 17' and longer are built with a 25" transom.

Has anyone considered converting their 20" transom boat to a 25" transom boat? I am considering it and am likely going to do something "close" to 25"(more on that in a minute).

Two reasons for a 25" transom that I can think of:
1. The taller transom should be safer on a boat used on large bodies of water. Less susceptibility to swamping than a 20" transom boat seems obvious.
2. A 25" transom would allow the addition of larger/heavier outboards that are currently produced today. This may mean that additional bracing on the inside of the boat.....However it is a fact that new outboards are much heavier than older outboards.

A 75hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS weighs about 375lbs according to merc. A 75hp OMC is about 120lbs less than that based on info I found searching here.

Would anyone consider upgrading/re-powering one of the restored boats in this section with a new engine? You would lose money in re-sale but if that wasn't a concern you would have a reliable, clean, easy starting boat for MUCH cheaper than buying new. And best I can tell the only thing you are giving up is some beam width.

Ayuh,.... #1,... On Outboard powered hulls, generally speakin', the splashwell is the backwash protection, not the height of the transom,...

#2,... Raisin' all that extra weight, in a narrow beam hull is a recipe for Disaster,....

#3,... Use a jack-plate,...

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

You can also refer to the USCG website for boat regulations. There is a section of their handbook on the website that gives all of the information you need on the subject of how much hp you should put on a boat according to the dimensions of the hull. There is an equation that will tell you exactly what type of hull is suitable for a maximum amount of horsepower according to the boats bottom design, transom type and height, length, beam width and maybe some other stuff. It's kind of like a x+y?z=? type of thing. It's pretty easy though.
Maybe you could look into that for some of your thoughts. Good luck.

Landof9000lakes

Seaman Apprentice

You can also refer to the USCG website for boat regulations. There is a section of their handbook on the website that gives all of the information you need on the subject of how much hp you should put on a boat according to the dimensions of the hull. There is an equation that will tell you exactly what type of hull is suitable for a maximum amount of horsepower according to the boats bottom design, transom type and height, length, beam width and maybe some other stuff. It's kind of like a x+y?z=? type of thing. It's pretty easy though.
Maybe you could look into that for some of your thoughts. Good luck.

Ayuh,.... #1,... On Outboard powered hulls, generally speakin', the splashwell is the backwash protection, not the height of the transom,...

#2,... Raisin' all that extra weight, in a narrow beam hull is a recipe for Disaster,....

#3,... Use a jack-plate,...

The boat won't be overpowered....And won't be overweight either. At least not much worth considering.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I'd also say use a jack plate if you go for a long shaft--$200 or less cost is reasonable.

I hope you really, really love the hull and intend to keep them for the long run. It's not always the best value to repower boats if you're going to be selling it in the next couple of years.

I wouldn't repower any fiberglass boat unless I was sure the boat has been kept out of the weather and unless the runners and transom were 100% sound.

Landof9000lakes

Seaman Apprentice

I hope you really, really love the hull and intend to keep them for the long run. It's not always the best value to repower boats if you're going to be selling it in the next couple of years.

That must be the consensus.